SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pam_whitbyon

Oenothera Triluba - wow! I had no idea

pam_whitbyon
12 years ago

I've lived in this house for 3 years now and had been pulling these little plants out from the garden bed running along one side of my garage. Everytime I tried to take a pic to ID it here, the sad limp yellow flower would be dead. So I just thought, lets pull these shabby little things up, they look like dandelions anyway...

Then this summer, the house next door became inhabited by a lady who used to live in it 30 years ago. A couple of weeks ago, she asked me if I'd ever seen this weird plant in my yard, she didn't know what it was called, just that the leaves looks a bit dandelion-like...lol. She went on to explain how the little yellow flowers opened up about half an hour after sunset, in about 30 seconds, right before your eyes, then die before noon the next day.

What an amazing little plant this is. Apparently it's known as Evening Primrose (along with a lot of other things)and seems to be quite beloved to whoever has it. She convinced me to put one in a pot on my patio table. So yes, now hubby and I sit out there every night with our coffee, staring FOREVER at this thing so as not to miss it, lol. It really is fascinating to watch. And at least the neighbour knows what's wrong with us.

She had been given the seeds by her son, who lived in that house for a while. She gave tons of seeds away to people in her new neighbourhood, and apparently all the seeds came from that tiny strip of garden bed next to my garage, all those years ago.

So, last night it opened at 8:40 exactly, and tonight I have two more opening... can't wait.

Comments (9)