SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annalyssa_gw

Golden Celebration growing against a wall - advice

Annalyssa
10 years ago

I'm new to growing roses and feel like I've just dived into a very deep pool....I've fallen completely in love though and my first purchase, the one that started it all, was a pair of Golden Celebrations which I chose for a couple of spots in front of the house which in retrospect may not have been the best choice, but for now I want to try to see if it works out.

They both seem really happy, have doubled in size in the few months I've had them (around when the photos were taken), and have been flowering continuously.

I'm in Tuscany, outside of Florence and this spot gets morning and early afternoon sun. They are flanked by two old huge Jasmine plants that will eventually get a bit of a trim and trained because right now they are out of control.

My question mainly is about how I should treat the plants. I've read on this forum that GC could/should be treated as a short climber, and since I have them here against a wall/stone railing, maybe that could be a good solution?

Right now the thin canes are reaching out toward the sun and droop with the heavy blooms so that they look down and you hardly get to appreciate them. Should I be tying them to stakes?

Thank you!

Comments (52)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida