SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newbie_roselover

My new garden continued: Golden Celebration & The Fairy (sport) ...

Well, since several of you have kindly said that you don't mind being bored by my photos, I'm going to share more of my new garden! :-)

Here is Golden Celebration. He came with lots of buds and had a gorgeous flush soon after planting...

I've planted him in a corner of the garden as I hope he might climb and then I can train him along the wall & fence on either side.

He seems to be growing well, even though he is in dappled shade from the neighbour's tree for part of the day. He's recently finished his 2nd flush and has started growing long canes - so I hope to be able to start training him soon.

He is a bit of a "water hog", though - I've noticed that he starts to wilt on hot days if I don't give him a little extra drink in the mornings. But other than that, he's a lovely rose: the blooms last several days, both on the bush and in the vase, and smell absolutely divine. And I love the shape & colour - it's like a soft, rich butter yellow - not harsh or garish at all.

And here's a rose I didn't expect to get when I went to the nursery! I had a list of David Austin roses I wanted... and then I saw this gorgeous pink & purple display by the car park and I was smitten. :-) It was some limonium perezii (sea lavender) with a sort of dwarf rose... I asked what the rose was and was told it's a dark pink sport of the Fairy... and before I knew it, I'd brought one home with all my Austins. LOL

Here it is planted in my garden...

It's quite sprawling but remains low, so it's actually really handy for a spot at the very front of the garden... as it doesn't get tall and block the view of the other plants & roses. You can see it at the front in this picture, with some white & purple petunias (Lisa - you'll love this combo! ;-) ... and Pat Austin & John Clare blooming behind.

And it's amazingly floriferous - hasn't stopped blooming since I brought it home - just clusters & clusters of flowers one after each other. They start off dark pink and then fade to light pink - so it gives the bush a lovely effect & adds depth of colour.

The flowers don't have any scent (shame!) but for continuous colour in the garden, I think it's hard to beat! It also looks great in a vase arrangement.

It IS very prickly - even the leaves have tiny prickles! - and it doesn't have the same "presence" as the Austin roses... but I do like it. I think it's a great little reliable workhorse rose if you're like me and always want colour in your garden, all the time.

---------------

I've still got pictures of Jude the Obscure, John Clare, Windemere, Lady of Shalott, Jubilee Celebration, Evelyn and Princes Alexandra of Kent to share with you. Oh, and of course, my "problem child", Pat Austin ;-)

(Are you regretting asking to
see my photos now? LOL! As you can probably guess, I LOVE taking
pictures and take dozens of my garden every day!)

~ HY

Comments (22)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor