SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lunrtwilight

Surgery

10 years ago

I just performed my most difficult surgery so far.

One of my Optimaras, the one that looks like Susi, had a second crown growing and disrupting the growth of the mother plant. On closer inspection, I saw several new young leaves from... unusual places.

When I got little "Susie Q" out of her pot, I was shocked to find not one, but three suckers! Two of them were quite small, but the third, the one I noticed first, has tiny buds forming on it already (yes, I said it, buds plural, tiny little things!).

The babies are sitting in my nursery with proud momma. I lost a few leaves in the process, but I believe all four will be just fine! Trying to untangle the four plants from each other was excruciating! The three suckers had some small roots to them already. I have no idea if the biggest one will abandon its buds or not, but they look so tiny, I doubt they would grow to full size even if they did actually bloom, but who knows? I've been surprised before.

This was the first time I performed a surgery that actually had me nervous. I had no idea where to start. The biggest sucker was the hardest to remove, while the smaller ones separated most willingly, if they hadn't, I likely would have left them for the time being. I can breathe a big sigh of relief now. The babies still have some recovering to do, but then, if they make it, I have to find room for them or re-home them... New problem? Lol.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz