SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
inkandsilver

Trees that have been at the nursery since last year

inkandsilver
13 years ago

Hello,

I am thinking I made a stupid, newbie mistake. I live in north central Utah, zone 5/6.

I'll try to make the story reasonably brief. I was very excited to plant a tree at our new home. Symbolic gesture and all. Did lots and lots of web research to choose one. Settled on a few potential options, mostly less common and harder to find at local nurseries. Was thrilled when I stumbled upon one of my options -- a specific lacebark elm cultivar. But the only ones they had were from last year, and had spent the winter at the nursery. I was so happy to find it that I didn't pay enough attention to what it looked like, especially because they were happy to give me a discount, and I was on my way somewhere, and had been to quite a few nurseries already. It had started to leaf out reasonably well, so I didn't notice until I got home that all of the major laterals had been cut back, and the new growth was on small branches off of these pruned laterals.

Was it a terrible idea to buy and plant this? Will it be oddly formed or stunted for life? This is supposed to be a nice feature tree in my front yard.

The caliper is about 1". The pot was 5 gallons. The root ball seemed dense but did not seem to be circling. Sigh. I was so excited. Now I am afraid it was a blunder.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Comments (10)