SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jesse_tnc

Why do I have less fruit on my tangerine tree than last year?

3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

My husband and I bought our house in 2017, complete with a large, mature tangerine tree. The first year or two I was still getting used to the idea of having fresh citrus so I only picked what I could eat, which were deliciously sweet fruit, though very seedy. In 2020 I finally decided to actually do something with the fruit. I was giving away bagfuls to neighbors who would trade for other citrus (via dead drop since COVID)... I felt bad for not being able to pick/use more sine there was so much of it. I even learned how to make marmalade and made three batches before getting it right.

But this year, the tree barely has any fruit at all. Only about 1/4 of the tree (the backside where I didn't pick as much last year) had any fruit. The rest was bare of fruit. What could be the issues? What can I do to ensure a better yield next year?

The first photo is from 2017. The yield was immense for a few years and now it isn't. The second photo is this year (taken in late November before the fruit ripened - it's green still but it's there).

We live in Los Angeles County, so the weather is pretty much always warm & dry except for winter and early Spring, and we don't typically get frost.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor