SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thenear1send

Is it worth reusing old, root bound potting soil?

thenear1send
15 years ago

I started gardening about 6 months ago. And about 4 years ago at my mothers house, she had a huge garden, of primarily potted plants. Well, a bunch of stuff happened and the plants were all abandoned, everything outside was abandoned. Obviously, everything died. And now in present day, i go out side at her house, and examine all the death everywhere. I felt an urge to revitalize he backyard, but I really wanted to reuse as much as what she had left over, because much of it was still very good.

But as my subject points out, is it worth reusing the soil of old root bound pots? I have dug up a couple of the pots, and removed as much old roots as possible and was left with a fairly dense, very "fibrous" (the old roots i couldn't remove), mass filled with loads of organic materials. Keep in mind this was very good potting mix to begin with. Also, i flooded one of the pots and realized it retained water really well.

So, if anyone has experienced this in the past, would you recommend reusing the old soil?

Comments (5)