SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
led_zep_rules

plastic stickers on fruit, going into compost

led_zep_rules
15 years ago

Summary: What do the rest of you do with the plastic stickers that come on so many kinds of produce? Should I worry about the ones that slip through? I am an organic gardener but I don't sell any produce to anybody.

I do fairly large scale composting at my house. I also make a lot of lasagna beds with scavenged materials. I import a lot of local stuff that was headed to the landfill or who knows where. I take a lot of other people's bagged leaves (OPBL) from a nearby subdivision, I get however much horse manure I want from a horse farm on the next street, and get a truck load of old produce most weeks from a local stand. Hence there can be hundreds of plastic stickers on plums, peaches, etc. in any given week.

I try to take the stickers all off, hubby doesn't try quite as hard, and I wind up with them in my gardens sometime. I was talking to a friend who does chemistry for a living and she was all, "Oh, they will decompose in a short time, you worry too much." Well I did an experiment with them 2 years ago, setting some plastic stickers in a container of water on my front porch where it also gets morning sun. Half a year later, with changes in weather, freezing, sun, whatever, they were the same as when they started.

I keep finding stickers in my garden beds from compost and lasagna beds made last year, too. No change to the stickers at all. So maybe they will degrade, but when? And what will they put into my soil as they break down? Do I need to worry more than just fishing them out when I see them?

Marcia

Comments (7)