SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rocklandguy

Mantis Compost-Twin Composter

rocklandguyZ8,SC
17 years ago

I have had a Mantis Compost-Twin composter for two years now. It is an amazing unit & very easy to turn. It cound be a real winner! I have a problem with it that it does not make compost as they advertise, let alone in two weeks or so. I would be happy if it made one batch by the end of the year. It is always wet & soggy, no matter how much dried leaves I put in it. At the end of the season, I have a unit full of wet balls of compost the size of softballs. I just dump the mess into my garden and till it in. This is not the way it should be! I even went to the expense of buying one of those huge Rubbermaid sheds to store shredded leaves from the fall so that I have dried leaves all year long. So my problem isn't that I don't have the correct ratio of greens & browns. I analyzed the problem last week and found that rain water runs down around the unit and runs in eith the hinge side of the door, the latch side of the door, or the one expansion joint where two of the panels are connected. I have placed a plastic tarp held on with bunggy cords to keep the rain water out. That has helped alot. But that makes it difficult to turn each day and to gain access thru the doors. I have been going around with Mantis for over a week and getting no where! They claim they have not received enough complaints to change the design of their unit. I have made two simple suggestions to fixing the problem, but they are very evasive. I was wondering if everybody else is having the same problem with the compost being too wet and never drying out? I know there are other similar composters out there that rotate. What have you done to correct the problem?

Comments (15)