SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anntn6b

Inspired by Monet's choice at Givernay

10 years ago

I garden on soils that were cattle and hay fields for over two centuries. I've often wondered what percentage (by weight) my topsoils are weed seeds.

My husband remembers saying last year "But I just weeded that bed last month" where I would swear he said "But I just weeded that bed last year." Whatever. We do have an abundance of weeds.

I don't want to use pre-emergent herbicides and I even looked into using corn gluten meal as a pre-emergent herbicide. (The web pages supporting are not current. I guess others had a problem with it only working when temps are over 70F.)

I did remember photographs from a professional of Monet's main walking path at Givernay, and the dense nasturtiums that edge the walk way and then tumble onto the gravel path.

There are no weeds among his nasturtiums.

This year, I've planted my nasturtiums more densely than before and they seem to be working. They are shading out the weeds that by this time are doing too well in the none- nasturtium beds. So, as I weed other beds, it's more nasturtium seeds for them as well.

(And in the picture linked below, they're having trouble getting roses all the way across their arches, too.)

Here is a link that might be useful: A brief discussion of that walk way

Comments (13)