our swap this month, we will enjoy the
Monet French Country House at Giverny, France, the International
Garden Festival at Domaine de Chaumont-sur-Loire, and other wonderful
places in and around Paris, France. It's a simple swap, but a
wonderful “trip”.

Giverny was the home of Claude Monet, the famous Impressionist
painter. Monet and his family settled in a farmhouse there in 1883
and he spent 40 years building a pastoral paradise with various gardens
and floating lilies so reminiscent of his paintings.

Every year, more than 400,000 visitors flock to Domaine de
Chaumont-sur-Loire, which has hosted the International Garden
Festival since 1992, this year celebrating its 25th anniversary with
the theme “Gardens
for the Coming Century”.
More
than 700 gardens have been designed in the Festival grounds – all
prototypes of the gardens of tomorrow.

So
if you'd “Rather Be in Paris” join in on the swap. All swappers
must be members of FOTESS – which stands for Friends of the Earth
Simple Swaps. If you are not a member but would like to find out
more, contact me (Jeanne) or sjc48 (Shirley).

The name of the person you will be sending to will be posted right
after that date. Please mail your package by April 18th.

In keeping with
our name, this will be a simple swap. You
will send:

1. A card that makes use of
some French words. It should be easy to find translations on the
internet or think it terms of C'est La Vie, Bon Appetit,
or Bonne Chance.

2. Include a French recipe - it can be one
you have not tried, but even better if you have tried it.

3. Send one other inexpensive item that you
consider as representing France. It can be a spice, a plant, a food
item, a package of seeds, a set of blank note cards, something with
an Eiffel Tower or French Poodle design, a CD with some French music,
maybe even a kitchen or garden item that reflects France. I'm sure
you'll have ideas.

That's all for the swap – 1 – 2- 3.

We will be playing lots of French games
including one where you will draw or otherwise create (maybe using pictures from a garden catalog) your own version of
"Gardens for the Coming Century" or Giverny. You'll
indicate which it represents and we'll post them under this FOTESS
heading to be judged by team members. Watch for it when it's posted.

There will be French Bingo.

How about some Facts and Lore about French
Gardens and French Gardeners?

Come experience April in Paris with FOTESS.
It will be lots of fun!

Jeanne

Comments (212)

• amybabyboy3
    8 years ago

Jeanne, I think I would love one of those Noisette roses also. The other day I went around the yard and picked a bouquet of roses and put it in a white floral picture and set it on the railing of my front porch. It is so beautiful!

Heidi, That is so funny about the gecko. Did someone send him thru the mail? That would scare me too I think! We used to have a lot of lizards but now that we have three cats, we don't have very many lizards around!

Shirley, That locket sounds beautiful, hope to see a picture! I would be like your horse if I saw the hose coiled up, I hate snakes!!!! So far the only one I have seen this year my cats got to first, Thank goodness!

Hope you all have a wonderful Day! Amy

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here's our next Bingo word: POMME DE TERRE (Potato).

I'm updating the full list, too.

POMME DE TERRE (Potato)

ERABLE (Maple)

Campanule (Bellflower)

Lierre (Ivy)

Romarin (Rosemary)

Fraise (Strawberry)

Pensée (Pansy)

Pissenlit (Dandelion)

Muguet de Mai (Lily of the Valley)

Houx (Holly)

Lin (Flax)

Jacinth (Hyacinth)

Chou (Cabbage)

Tournesco (Sunflower)

Bois deSaule (Willow)

Lis (Lily)

Laitue (Lettuce)

I suspect some of our players are getting to close to having Bingo.

Happy Earth Day! I tried to find some interesting facts about Earth Day in France. I think there is an endeavor to have some of the lights either off or reduced usage on Earth Day, but that was all I found. Is your community doing anything special for Earth Day? I'll check to see what's happening here and report back.

Next time I'm logged in I'll also update the PARIS POINTS. I haven't totaled them since the last questions were posted.

None of the prizes have been mailed yet so they may all be sent out at the same time. I want to make something for the Art winners and I've gotten as far as deciding on what to make. Sometimes that's the hard part!

Jeanne

• Related Discussions

part 2 march/april fotess round robin swap

Q

Comments (1)
    time to bump this down!
    ...See More

Fotess Swap: April Showers Bring May Flowers

Q

Comments (179)
    Amy, again, thanks for the great fun this month. You did a super job. I went from needing 8 words two days ago to needing only two for Bingo. With all the words that have been posted today, someone has to be lucky and have Bingo. It's been pretty warm here this past week but I am not complaining. It is hard for me to garden in the heat so I wait til after dinner and spend a couple hours a night outside completed needed tasks. Got the tomato and cucumber plants in today. I still need to weed and clean out so many gardens but I am keeping myself from getting overwhelmed by doing one project each night. So far, so good. We could use some rain so the weeding could be a little easier. Margo
    ...See More

APRIL Fotess SPRING CLEANING

Q

Comments (227)
    Your welcome!! Prizes - As you can see, Melinda got her prize for first place (it was looking obvious she was going to win). Thanks for all the pictures Melinda, they help keep the month interesting for everyone! Runner-up prizes to Emily (2nd place Thank you for sharing so many photos too!) and to Beth who got the 6 points for keeping (mostly) to this month's swap (one set of towels, two packets of seeds, card - there was an extra of a chocolate bar - but she was closest to the simple swap guidelines). Susan - your package shows out for delivery. Hope you're not disappointed as I keep to the simple swap and only send listed items (I do put it on my profile so folks know that about me!). Thanks for sharing about the vinegar. I have a pressure washer that's clogged - I'll try that! Looked at the split cupped and double narcissus at Van Engelen https://www.vanengelen.com/flower-bulbs-index/narcissi/split-cup.html and https://www.vanengelen.com/flower-bulbs-index/narcissi/double.html and didn't see yours. The American Daffodil Society has a DAFFSEEK link to photo database if you feel like trolling about there https://daffodilusa.org. Heidi - beautiful tulips and that phlox is going to be gorgeous when it fills in! TODAY is National Honesty Day (so honestly, I have too much stuff!!!) http://holidayinsights.com/moreholidays/April/honestyday.htm
    ...See More

FOTESS: APRIL Chat and Share Pictures

Q

Comments (3)
    i posted the swap but really wanted to share this here. i save my orchids after they bloom and they have never rebloomed. until.... i moved them to my bathroom. they are sooooo happy there! this is growing a new shoot off the side. this grew from the side of the leaves after 2 years of no activity.
    ...See More
  • xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    8 years ago

Yes, the lizard/gecko was through a Fotess swap. I can't remember and I want to go back and see if I can find who sent it. We don't have lizards up here and my friend had said his wife saw her first snake so I was wary! ha

I put my indoor seedlings outside for about 6 hours yesterday and they look like they went through a hurricane. I know that's too long, but it was beautiful, no wind, protected. It's just hard to do it 2 hours at a time when I'm at work 15 miles away. I'll have to adapt! They are looking really well since I started using lights last year.

I want to see the pretty locket, too! Picture! Picture!

I am finding plants I have to move. I planted columbine in front. I've never had columbine survive the winter. These did. Now I need to move them towards the back and with more space. Those are good problems to have.

My husband went on the flower walk with me last night around my flowers. My Dame's Rocket from last year is starting to bloom although it's more like a Dame's Firecracker, only about 12" high. The ones I've seen were 3 ft. tall. Maybe it will continue to rocket upwards. My red hot pokers are looking good that I transplanted. My husband gave me the, "Now honey, don't be upset if a kid picks one of your flowers. They are just so beautiful." "Well," I answered carefully, he can pick one of those, but not one of THOSE." He just smiled at me.

Heidi

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I got a new total on the PARIS POINTS.

Erica 12

Jayeanne 2

Amy 7

Heidi 2

Thanks to all who have been guessing. I've learned a bit looking up questions to post. If I can find several more to list, I'll post them.

Will be back with a Bingo word in the morning. See everyone then.

Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Good morning. Here's our next Bingo word. I know several have this one on their list:

GRENADIER (Pomegranate)

See everyone later in the day!

Jeanne

8 years ago

My allium is budding and starting to open. My lilacs are starting to open (already). My husband lost his job in January. He started CDL (truck driving) school in April. He had already passed the test and several tests for endorsements, but he didn't know how to drive the truck. He got to the classroom on April 4 and they told him to wait a month and he said, "no way". He is Hispanic and he joined 20 African guys from Somali. He made friends with them and was showing them ways to remember English words they needed for the test. On Friday he passed the test and he's got his official CDL a-n-d the training school offered him a job as a trainer since he speaks English and Spanish and since he gets along with people of all kinds. The job is 50 miles away. It's a long story, but we went to look at a hybrid car and it was the biggest blessing today. We can sell the 1982 van with shag carpeting on the ceiling, too (double yes!). Thanks for letting me share. Heidi

• sjc48
    8 years ago

Great news, Heidi! I've been wanting to ask if your hubby had found a job. I can imagine that you are both feeling a bit of relief!

Oh Lord, I remember those vans, my mom and her husband had one, their shag carpeting was bright royal blue. We used to go everywhere with them, my boys loved it!

Shirley!

• EricaBraun
    8 years ago

Heidi -- Holy cow, that is great news! You must be so incredibly proud of your hubby. What a great break for two people who absolutely deserve it.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Such good news, Heidi! Reading that made my day so much better.

Here we go again with Bingo - 2 words for Sunday.

PERSIL (Parsley)

ANANAS (Pineapple)

Will someone have Bingo? We must be getting close.

Jeanne

• amybabyboy3
    8 years ago

Heidi, Congratulations to you and your husband on the new job. It sounds perfect for him and he sounds like a wonderful people person!

Have a great day Everyone!

8 years ago

Shirley...I get to sell the van and I'm trying to come up with great advertising. 1986 Blue Dodge Custom Van complete with matching frosted ice blue shag carpeting floor to ceiling. Touts 12 miles to the gallon, no air and if you're driving against the wind the heat is "on" all the time. Historical AM/FM radio with static still operational and works just like it did the first day it was turned on. The '86 windshield allows you to see the Grand Canyon before you ever enter Arizona. Additional hitch allows you to tow motorcycle, kayak or spouse. Fits 7 Americans or 25 kids on a field trip. Once a readily recognized drug transportation vehicle which may play into your illegal marketing schemes. (My husband bought it at a poiice auction and couldn't figure out why the police followed him around for 3 months. He waved at the officers and talked to them and they figured out he was different than the last owner-whoever that was.) 1986 Cadillac car seats welded into the front replace captain and shotgun chairs. No, you can't adjust your seat--but the added comfort is worth it. Nobody under 5'10" can drive it. Anti-theft--nobody would believe anybody driving this van would hide much of value inside. Not a chop shop prize, either, and car-jacking is rare except in cases of women going into labor and needing an emergency ride to the hospital. Warning: may attract birds practicing their torpedo skills.

I went to Hobby Lobby and spent $16 and saved $15! I'll never be able to do that again, but it was great!

Heidi

• sjc48
    8 years ago

Well, Heidi, that should do it, but it's going to cost a fortune!

Totally hilarious!

How did you do that, at Hobby Lobby?

I've got 6 words in Bingo, not worried, tho, I never win Bingo!

The Dubs won, Curry is hurt again. I'm never watching this NBA crap again in my lifetime. I mean it.

Shirley!

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I was 99% sure everyone had sent and received for this month and they have. Thanks so much for being so great at posting and keeping this hostess who didn't seem very organized "on the ball."

Erica is going to be our PARIS POINTS winner. Congratulations, Erica! You are far ahead and I haven't come up with any more good questions.

Once Bingo gets wrapped up (in about 1 or 3 days I would guess), we'll call this month complete. I have really enjoyed this trip to Paris with my wonderful friends at FOTESS. All of you are great traveling companions.

Jeanne

• EricaBraun
    8 years ago

Jeanne -- Thanks so much for hosting. You did a great job. Not only has it been a fun swap, but I've also learned so much!

• amybabyboy3
    8 years ago

Erica, Congratulations!

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The Bingo word for today is: GUI (Mistletoe)

I don't think this one caused anyone to get Bingo, but check your Bingo cards "in case".

See everyone later.

Jeanne

• smitties
    8 years ago

Jeanne, thanks for another great swap. It's been a lot of fun.

I realized I did miss a bingo word but still have two to go.

Beautiful day here in Ohio. The daffs are about done but the tulips are in full bloom. So pretty. For some resonate, I lost my hyacinths. Not sure if the mild winter or late freezes/snow had anything to do with it.

Happy Monday.

8 years ago

Jeanne, Je vous remercie pour votre dame de plante fou de leadership ! Merveilleux échange ! (Thank you for your leadership crazy plant lady! Wonderful swap!) I sound more intelligent in French! Thanks again, Jeanne. If anyone wants white Lilies of the Valley let me know. I need to dig some up and give them away. They have grown under the sidewalk to the other side. Amazing hardy little plants and they smell like heaven. Heidi

• canyonwind
    8 years ago

Heidi...wonderful about your husbands new job!

I finally went and checked my BINGO words. I had not marked anything off since Jeanne started the game....but now I am up to speed!

Erica congrats on Paris Points....

Happy Evening!

Annie

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here's the next Bingo word:

ANETH (Dill)

Is there Bingo today?

Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I think someone has Bingo so check your lists!

Also, I wanted to mention that I loved hosting April in Paris. If you are a hostess later this year, consider taking us to another country. I think it was lots of fun!

Jeanne

• smitties
    8 years ago

I need one more after dill. Congrats to whoever has bingo.

• amybabyboy3
    8 years ago

I loved this swap too, so interesting! Thank you Jeanne!

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I decided I should post all the Bingo words drawn so far so you can see them altogether. I know we will have Bingo soon!

POMME
    DE TERRE (Potato)

ERABLE
    (Maple)

Campanule
    (Bellflower)

Lierre
    (Ivy)

Romarin
    (Rosemary)

Fraise
    (Strawberry)

Pensée
    (Pansy)

Pissenlit
    (Dandelion)

Muguet
    de Mai (Lily of the Valley)

Houx
    (Holly)

Lin
    (Flax)

Jacinth
    (Hyacinth)

Chou
    (Cabbage)

Tournesco
    (Sunflower)

Bois
    deSaule (Willow)

Lis
    (Lily)

Laitue
    (Lettuce)

GRENADIER
    (Pomegranate)

PERSIL
    (Parsley)

ANANAS
    (Pineapple)

GUI
    (Mistletoe)

ANETH
    (Dill)

Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    8 years ago

My mistake. No one had Bingo yesterday.

Today's word is ANCOLIE (Columbine).

Listening for Bingo????

Ladies, none of the prizes have been mailed yet. Once we have someone with Bingo I will get all of them packed up and on their way.

Have a great day!

Jeanne

• pinkiris
    8 years ago

BINGO

• smitties
    8 years ago

Yeah! A winner. Congrats

• canyonwind
    8 years ago

Congratulations Jayeanne!!

Do any of you have any Moringa seeds? I will send postage.

Thanks Jeanne for a very interesting "April In Paris" month.....and I loved the packages that were sent.

Happy Wednesday!

Annie

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Congratulations, Jayeanne!

I believe that one other person got Bingo with today's word so if that person will post that she has Bingo before the end of the day, I'll award a second Bingo prize.

See everyone later.

Jeanne

• sjc48
    8 years ago

Many thanks for another great swap, Jeanne!

Amy, just answered your houzz message, let me know if you got it

Shirley!

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I looked a few minutes ago to see if they had pictures of the 2016 International Garden Festival near Paris. I didn't see any photos, but there is a map of the grounds at this site that names the various gardens and their location. I thought some might be interested.

http://www.domaine-chaumont.fr/en_festival_festival-visite?scat=2b&expandable=0

Jeanne

• amybabyboy3
    8 years ago

Shirley, Thank you! I received your message! Amy

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    8 years ago

As we finish out the month we have a new member to welcome.

Breanne (WVGarden Girl) has joined our group. We hope you have lots of fun here with future swaps, Breanne!

Jeanne

• EricaBraun
    8 years ago

Breanne -- Welcome!

• BenLovesBeets (Zone 7b)
    8 years ago

Erica you were one of my favorite/best trades last season! So excited you're also in this group!!

• kchd
    8 years ago

Welcome, Breanne!

FOTESS members, I just sent out an email with a link to the members list. Please post here if you did not receive the email.

• sjc48
    8 years ago

Welcome, Breanne, nice to have you join in!

Katie, I'll check it out, thanks!

Edit - got it, Katie!

• smitties
    8 years ago

Welcome Breanne.

Katie, I received the revised list. Thank you.

My husband surprised me today with tickets to see Barry Manilow. He is supposedly doing his last tour but this last tour has been going on for a year and a half. My daughter bought tickets for is to see him in February of 15. Lol It was another good performance. That man is 72 and still belts it out.

8 years ago

Welcome Breanne!

I will make a confession. My birthday isn't April 19. You have all proven trustworthy so you can know my birthday is Feb. 4. I don't like to give out too much information and there is my fake birthday on the Fotess address list again. Katie, feel free to change it. Don't send the list out again just for that---it will just be updated for the next Release of Addresses. FYI: I started using this fake birthday a couple years ago when all the website were asking for all this crazy information. Now when I search my name there's 2 of me, one with each birthday. Since I've used it enough times--they think it's real. I also purposely misspell my last name and then watch for the junk mail I get with the misspelled name. They're selling it and I'm recycling the junk mail! Gotta keep those data mining groups guessing!

Heidi

• amybabyboy3
    8 years ago

Breanne, Welcome!

Katie, I received the updated list also, Thank you! Amy

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for updating our list, Katie. The new way sounds very efficient.

I'm working on the game prizes and hope to get them mailed tomorrow. I also had lots of fun on this trip to Paris!

Jeanne

• pinkiris
    8 years ago

Thanks Margo, Annie and Jeanne! Been a long time since Ive won on a BINGO, lol. Thank you Jeanne for such an awesome PARIS journey and very much enjoyed the company with you ladies! fun! fun!

Welcome Breanne!

Such a surprise this morning, first Iris to bloom... wishing everyone a great rest of the week!

• canyonwind
    8 years ago

Katie, I received the updated FOTESS membership list...Thank You!!!

Breanne, welcome to FOTESS............

Happy Friday....Happy weekend!!

Annie

• booberry85
    8 years ago

Missed this swap, but at least I'm lurking again. Hoping to get back into swapping. It's been a while. I really don't have a good reason for my disappearance either! Anyway, looking forward to getting involved in the swaps again!

Becky

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi, Becky - It's great to see you and join in when you get a chance.

Jayeanne, That's a beautiful iris. I don't have much luck with them here, but I did have a potted white iris bloom this spring.

I mailed all the Bingo prizes this morning. Sorry one of the padded envelopes is a bit "recycled". I didn't have the right size here and didn't want to try to shop and then go back to the post office. The lines are bad enough mid-morning.

Have a good weekend!

Jeanne

• EricaBraun
    8 years ago

Jeanne -- I received my Paris prize today. Thank you so very much!

• canyonwind
    8 years ago

Jeanne, thank you so much for my April in Paris prize.......so appropriate for the month!
    Annie

8 years ago

I received my prize, too. Thank you so much. Last evening we went to the high school Fine Arts Night and a student had a painting of the Eiffel Tower about 24" tall. It was divided into 3" horizontal strips. The bottommost level was the street. The next level was a glorious sunset. Another level was a soft green with branches. I thought of this swap! Thank you again! Heidi

• pinkiris
    8 years ago

Jeanne thank you so much for the BINGO prize and the 'Van Gogh Inspired' ART AWARD. Just love your creativity with the award and the 'to and from' cards ...super super cute! I think I am going to frame the Eiffel card you sent ...and I am always planting lettuce here, the PARIS Island is perfect! That kleenex holder is amazing, I have already tucked that in my handbag ...and those sunflowers! wow ... perfect choice, I just absolutely love the rustic bronze colors! I will be planting these when our rain stops hopefully in next few days. Thank you so much Jeanne and for all you do, I sure appreciate it.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Glad the prizes have arrived and all of you were so deserving! I was happy to find some seeds that had Paris in the name. Parris Island is where they train Marines here in South Carolina so I thought it was doubly appropriate.

Have a great month of May.

Jeanne