SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
boisenoise

Mystery Rose- bizarre crimson/ bruise color

boisenoise
11 years ago

I would love to be able to identify this rose, which has been growing for many years at the Idaho Botanical Garden. I'm guessing that it is a gallica. The oddest thing is the color. I can't manage to get a photo that shows it even close to how it appears in real life. Overall, the flowers have a similar color to 'Charles de Mills' (which grows nearby), but the centers of the flowers tend more towards a purple that is very close to being the color of a serious bruise! At certain stages of development (not in the current photos), the petals also tend to be faintly striped (see the final photo).

{{gwi:286625}}

Here is a close-up showing the rather unusual flower form, with a tightly packed, quartered center:

{{gwi:286626}}

. . . and in this one, you can see a cane and the leaves rather well. {{gwi:286627}}

This one is closest to capturing the true colors. {{gwi:286628}}

And this one comes closest to showing the faint striping that it can show at times. {{gwi:286629}}

Note that the bud does have a sticky, glandular thing going on, although I'm not sure it's enough to qualify it as a "moss."

Comments (5)