SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Climbing Crimson Glory

jacqueline9CA
10 years ago

Tale of a lazy gardener, or how to create mysteries in your own garden and then be surprised by them:

I have a Climbing Crimson Glory (accd to Gregg) which I rooted from a rose in the garden of a cottage near my house that was about to be (and was) torn down and replaced by a parking lot (I know - sounds like an "urban legend", but it is true).

It was climbing about 15 feet up a pine tree. I have since researched that garden on behalf of another rose I got from it, and determined that the Cl Crimson Glory was planted no earlier that the 1930s, and probably no later than the 1960s. Anyway, it rooted fine and has turned into a lovely rose in my garden. It is wrapped around a 5 ft rose "folly", and then has jumped up to an arch covered with 'Sombreuil'. Looks fantastic up there, occasionally joined in blooming times with the large purple clematis jackmanii (see pic).

Anyway, years ago rosefolly said that she wanted one, and had bought one, but it didn't climb.

I gave her cuttings at least 3 times, but she had no luck rooting them. So, I have tried to root it several times in the last few years, and all of the cuttings died (how amazing that the one cutting I took from the original plant years ago rooted...).

Fast forward - I am very lazy, and so the last time (about 7 months ago) that I had various cuttings root, I potted them up and put all three pots on the top of the soil in an empty (of plants - full of dirt) half wine barrel that I use for tomatoes because they got water there, and would be protected from deer by the cages we use to protect the tomatoes. Well, of course when we went to plant this year's tomatoes a few weeks ago, there were these three roses in pots, now growing madly, and very happy. I realized that I had NO IDEA who they were at all! We were going away for a 2 week vacation, so I just put them in a garden bed where they would get watered automatically, and left.

When I retrieved them out of that garden bed the other day, I realized that one of them had put up a 3 ft tall climbing cane, out of its one gallon pot, and had also put out some other new growth from the base, and was very happy. I stared at it, trying to remember what I had been trying to root last year......(I know, I am supposed to put labels on them, but I always think I will remember..., and as I said, I am lazy).

I caught site of my old bush of Cl Crimson Glory out of the corner of my eye..... the new leaves are the same color, and look the same to my ignorant eye, and they both even have 6th and 7th vestigial leaflets on some of the leaves. No blooms or buds yet on the new one, unfortunately, but there is a high likelihood that this might be a successful rooting of my old cultivar of Cl CG, because I have been routinely adding it to each attempt to root things for a while.

So, rosefolly, my plan is to wait until it blooms, but if it is Cl Crimson Glory I will let you know, and you are welcome to it if you still need one.

Jackie

P.S. One other of the plants MIGHT be a clone of my ancient Le Vesuve, and the third looks suspiciously like a white version of Margo Koster, which I have and which sports to different colors constantly - I sometimes try to root them, but they usually are not stable - this one has lots of pure white blooms...another mystery - gardening is so amusing if you are lazy!

Comments (22)