SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aachenelf

Very impressed with the Mammoth Mum series

aachenelf z5 Mpls
10 years ago

First a little background on my mum growing:

Over the years, all my mums were purchased as rooted cuttings from a Minnesota grower and I believe most (if not all) were developed at the University of Minnesota, so I haven't had many issues with winter survival. My biggest mistake however, was trying to grow them in beds facing SW which is the front of my house. Yes, they grew, they bloomed, they survived the winter, but that intense afternoon sun and heat simply fried them. So, this spring I moved all of them to the beds with a SE orientation and the difference has been pretty remarkable. My mums should be spectacular this fall (knock on wood).

One of the mums I moved was 'Coral Daisy' from the Mammoth Mum series. Again, developed at the U of M. There's a link at the bottom with some more info about these mums and their breeding program. From a couple of tiny sprigs transplanted in May, this plant is now 34 inches across, about 15 inches tall and pretty much a perfect mount. I never pinched it. I think I fertilized it once. It's listed as hardy to minus 30-35 F.

When I purchased this plant, the grower stated from a rooted cutting, in the second year, expect a plant 3-4 feet across which I totally believe now. From the current state of bud development, it looks like this one won't be blooming for about a month, so hopefully our current heat wave should be history. If you're looking for mums to order next year, you might want to put this one on your list. I'm pretty impressed with it.

Here's my mum today:

{{gwi:261150}}

Kevin

Here is a link that might be useful: U of M

Comments (67)