SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

In the front garden this morning.... loooong post!

Pardon the long post - nothing too interesting here; it's been a boring day :-)

The front garden here is the full sun garden where there is more of a focus on flowers. I find it has a much less coherent feel than the shady backyard and it's hard to get decent pictures of it, partly because there is no vantage point to give an overall view of it! The year got off to a disappointing start for this garden because (a) all the flowerbuds were winterkilled on both the Chinese and Japanese wisterias, and (b) the big butterflybush died, removing a tall element from the picture. Peony season is just winding up here at the moment - deadheading definitely needed out there now! The summer clematises are just starting to strut their stuff.

Some (not very good!) pictures and comments:

The front garden - taken from the neighbour-across-the-street's driveway:
{{gwi:239045}}
The right side feels 'empty' without the butterfly bush. A variegated weigelia that was out-competed by the butterflybush will eventually take up some of the space the BB occupied. The haskap shrubs we planted this spring will only get to 4' or so, so they will not add a whole lot of height to the picture.... Here is a similar view of the garden from early last July so you can see where the BB was:
{{gwi:239047}}
We also just did a fairly hard prune on the Chinese wisteria 'tree' - on the far left of the picture - to reduce the height in order to make the top easier to reach with the long-arm pruner, to let more light in to the plants under/near the base, and to, hopefully, prompt a good secondary bloom for late July.

There is always more color and interest going on in the garden than is visible in the pictures from across the road. It is really a garden meant for walking through/to be seen up close.

There is still a fair bit of bare ground where the BB was, so I'm going the have to pay a lot of attention to weeds in that area this year!
{{gwi:239049}}

This is a closer view of the pretty clematis that used to grow into the base of the BB:
{{gwi:239051}}
I didn't expect it would survive both the death of the BB and the excavation of the dead bush! But it appears to be thriving. I have no idea what its name is - there was no tag when we bought it 7-8 years ago. It scrambles rather than climbs. I've just posted the picture on the clematis forum to see if they can identify it for me.

This is another pretty clematis - 'Piilu' - growing into a 'White Moth' hydrangea beside the Chinese wisteria:
{{gwi:239052}}

One odd little thing that happened this year in the narrow 'moat bed' strip along the ditch is that the pinks FINALLY bloomed! I planted them years ago at the narrowest point in that bed. They never quite died out, but never thrived either. I finally gave up on them about two years ago and added some Bressingham heucheras - this year they are both blooming - and the colors are not quite happy together :-)
{{gwi:239054}}

The last of the deep red-pink single peonies are still providing a splash of color along the main path through the arbour. (pardon the mess of bricks on the right - some re-working of the brick edge is underway....)
{{gwi:239056}}

The Persicaria polymorpha at the back, left side of the bed seems to be one of the things that were happy with the cold winter. It is very big this year, sprawling widely, rather than more stiffly upright as it usually is - the recent deluge of rain probably contributed to that too!
{{gwi:239057}}

Rodgersias also seem to have been happy with the winter and recent dose of rain. The flowers on the ones in the front porch bed are huge this year:
{{gwi:239058}}

The little angel roses and culinary sage are saying 'summer' in the bed on the south side of the driveway. As you can see, this bed is also where DH keeps a lot of his bird things (feeders, birdbath....); he uses the car as a 'blind' - sitting it it with the windows down to take pictures!
{{gwi:239059}}

The 'Paprika' rose and ninebark make a good combination at the other end of this bed. I was happy to see that the 'Midnight Marvel' hardy hibiscus that we added to that area is coming back strongly - all the hardy hibiscuses seem very vigorous this year. We grew that one in a pot on the driveway and didn't plant it into the ground until late September so I wasn't sure if it would survive. There are some empty spots in the beds on both sides of the driveway, waiting for Mammoth mums... (Unfortunately the supplier of those to the local garden center I ordered them from is not intending to ship them until late summer.... )
{{gwi:239060}}

Our collection of pots of peas is on the driveway beside this bed:
{{gwi:239061}}
The peas do well in the pots - they are mainly for snacking on :-) Each pot is a different variety, selected to give us a long harvest.

The other side of the driveway also has pots of veggies:
{{gwi:239063}}

The front garden is one of those places that 'will look better next week/month/year'! We like most parts of it but it never quite pleases us as a whole in the way that the backyard does. At this point in our lives we are not likely to make big changes - even if I could figure out what they would be! So we'll keep making 'changes at the margin'....

Comments (12)