SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dahlia_newbie

Pink Flowering Dogwood not happy

dahlia_newbie
15 years ago

I planted a pink flowering dogwood about 5 or 6 weeks ago (mid May), and it seems like the leaves are burning up. I live in Houston, TX. The tree was about 5 feet tall, and came in an 18" pot. I planted using tree and shrub soil (which I assume contained root stimulator). I dug the hole about 2 times as wide as the size of the pot, and about 1-1/2 times as deep. I backfilled with the purchased soil, packed firmly. I watered deeply after planting, and about three weeks later, the soil had compacted a bit and sunk into the ground. I added soil. I watered it almost daily at first, then about every other day or every three days till now. Some of the leaves are looking dead. I figured it was just shock, so I watched for new growth. The same thing is happening to the new leaves. They turn a darker green, then the ends get brittle, and eventually turn black. It's like they are burning up in the full sun. Any ideas? Is this normal? I gave it a DEEP watering today - put the hose on just trickling, and sat there for about 30 minutes. Also just added a 3" layer of mulch about 3 feet in diameter, didn't put any mulch within 3" of the trunk. HELP - I've never planted a tree before...and I don't want to kill this one.

Comments (3)