SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenluv_gw

I hate this flower

gardenluv
14 years ago

I was going through some old posts just to keep me motivated (and I love drooling over people's pics) and kept coming across pictures of petunias. Every time I see one, I just think....yup, still don't like them! I don't know why but I just do not like them!

Is there anyone else who has one specific flower that you don't like regardless of color or cultiver for no specific reason?

Comments (80)

• mastergarder2003
    14 years ago

Well I love to eat ditch lily's and yucca flowers and yucca's make great fire starters go up like a Christmas tree. Fast. WEll for me You all might not agree but I have two, I don't like, Columbines they get so may diesese's, and Roses they are more trouble then what they are worth other then my Rugosa Rosa hot pink original not a hybrid and I never have to spray it in Mi. with anything. I hate diesesed plants. But I do have dk. purple and white center columbine's so they are ok but iffy. and some roses but my hubby's choice not mine. A perfect long stem rose in Mi is hard to come by And I won't spray.

• gardenweed_z6a
    14 years ago

silverkelt - you really gave me a good laugh with the "hate this flower" scorecard!

I'll weigh in with the marigold haters. I don't really hate them because they do help keep bugs away from the veggies, but that's the point. I only grow a couple tomato plants in containers on my breezeway these days so in that respect they don't offer any help with insect control. Aside from a few spectacular sunsets on the ocean up in Maine, I've never liked orange as a color, not since I was coloring with crayons. My colors are (and have always been) blue, green, pink, purple, ivory and gray with a splash of yellow or white for contrast.

The grape hyacinth and johnny jump-ups/violas have naturalized in the lawn here over the years so in mid- to late spring the lawn begins to look blue when viewed in the right light. My mom would never let anyone mow the grass while they were blooming. Makes me smile and think of her every year when they show off.

So count mine as 1 vote against marigolds.

• Related Discussions

What do you do about daylilies you don't like?

Q

Comments (27)
    I bring them to work and give them to my co-workers. I do that with a lot of the extra divisions and seedling plants in the spring. This year I brought in 10 or so divisions of Siloam Doodlebug and 8 divisions of Snowy Eyes and a few of some others. I also bring in other plants, like Lady's mantle, iris, perennial geraniums and stuff. I hate composting perfectly good plants and I'm too lazy to sell them. Most of my co-workers are not die-hard gardeners like us and don't care about things like names and genetics - they're just happy to get a nice plant with neat flowers for free! I've been doing this for a few years and it's always fun to have people come back to me and rave over a plant I gave them a year or 2 ago.
    ...See More

White Cosmos! Vexed and perplexed!

Q

Comments (6)
    The odds are that your pink blooms where created by crossing the dark fushia with white cosmos. The result will be the pink. Even though your packet of seeds was all pink, it was possible that some of the seeds could have produced some white blooms the first year. Even though they didn't, successive years of collecting the seeds from plants that you grew give you a 1/4 chance of white blooms. If you want to have better odds that you will not get white or very, very few white, then it would probably be better to purchase the packets every year. Even doing that, though, will not guarantee that you won't get any white blooms because of the genetic cross factor. Mixing various varieties of cosmos in the garden beds will also create a strong risk of crosses being created. That is the nature of gardening and risk of cross pollination that exists. It also exists with commercially purchased seeds. None of the seed companies and guarantee 100% that the seeds they sell in packets with the plant labels will always produce the exact colors that the packets are marked. Fran
    ...See More

More plant questions...4 nerve daisy, Marcus salvia

Q

Comments (16)
    I have a raised bed that is very dry, so I think I'll try planting a 4 nerve daisy and see how it does compared to the one in the ground. I was at Marshall Grain yesterday and the lady mentioned growing Sundrops instead since it blooms more. Anyone grow it? I've never been crazy about Bulbine, but I saw one at Lowes yesterday and it sounds like something that would do good in my raised bed. I also saw Santolina and it sounds like another good possibility. It's crazy that my roses have done better than anything else in the hard rock like soil of my raised bed.
    ...See More

Garden memories, share yours:)

Q

Comments (14)
    I love to remember the roses, forget-me-nots, allysum trilliums and the dogwood trees that my mom planted when we were growing up. We just had a small garden but I loved it. Sure wish I had pictures. The gardening memory that really gets me is my lovely wisteria bush. We have moved since, but in our old house, I had planted a wisteria twig and watched it grow into a gorgeous beautiful plant growing along our wooden fence. It took 7 years to bloom, as they all do but the blooms certainly were worth waiting for and it bloomed for quite a few years. I would anticipate it's bloom each Spring. I had just planted some plants alongside the wisteria a couple of days earlier, and we went to visit my mother-in-law for the day. When we came home, we saw that my "charming" neighbour had cut down my wisteria bush to the ground leaving it strewn all across our backyard and trampled all of the new plants I had planted. When my DH went to talk to him about it he told DH it was his problem and gave him a wisecrack answer. I never spoke to my neighbour again and actually he is lucky because I should have called the police and had him charged for destroying my property. We moved that winter since the joy of my house was no longer there. A friend of mine now has wisteria so I can get my wisteria fix each Spring. I did get sweet revenge....the wisteria bush had lots of trailers and is thriving to this day. It really is hard to kill wisteria and when I drove past a couple of years later, I saw that it had grown with a vengence!
    ...See More
  • gardenluv
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I too love the tally silverkelt! It seems like most of the threads have to do with what everyone wants, or is excited for. This is fun to hear of what everyone does NOT like. I thought I was just weird for having that one flower that I do not like but I can see I am not alone. My mother always has petunias in her flower boxes. I told her last year that if I found a petunia in her yard this year I would rip it out. I would LOVE to plant her planters with all wintersown stuff but my parents are the "instant garden" type. It is too chilly where they live to plant much of anything until the end of June, and they always have company on July 4th. Every year my dad goes to Home Depot, buys all the plants and plants all the planters the last weekend of June. Maybe I will volunteer to go with him, and sneak in some of my own jugs into his truck! If I do.....there WILL BE NO PETUNIAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• mulchy
    14 years ago

{{gwi:354803}}
    I really like LL bleeding, I planted them along with caster bean and fuzzybear sunflowers on our driveway edge. I had people stop and inquire about them!!!
    I dislike petunias, I hate dead heading the, they are so sticky!!!

• merryrose
    14 years ago

This is fun! I recently posted a ? on shade gardening forum and 1 response. Every month or so somebody posts. So I wintersowed, but I'm back for the fun. Since you asked, I hate hostas--also childhood thing. Everybody had a row on each side of sidewalk with those silly little purple flowers. And I feel like hostas are sacred to gardeners I meet. So count one and I'm sure only 1, vote for (against) hostas.

• silverkelt
    14 years ago

Lets see here. Totals...
    1. Petunias of any sort. (2 vote)

2. Frilly White Petunias (1 vote)

3. Boxwood hedgeing or shrubs(5 votes)

4. Alyssum (1 vote)

5. Black Flowers (1 vote)

6. Cockscomb (1 vote)

7. Ageretums (1 vote)

8. Pansies (1 vote ) Though I have to disagree here =).

9. Glads (1 vote) I agree they are a terrible garden plant, I like to cut them though.

1. Double Marigolds (6 votes)

2. Yucca (1 vote)

3. Calla Lillies (1 vote)

4. Grasses (1) (I just dont grow them becuase of the space.. roses and daylilies and other things have to come first)

5. Forsythia (1) Alot of work for such a small time frame of flowering... I kinda agree!

6. Sea Holly (1) (Ive tried sowing this for years..nada, trying again this year)

7. Love in the Mist (2)

8. Bearded Iris (1)

9. Love Lies Bleeding (1) (have you tried varigated kiss me of the gardens gate? I like that one...

10. Buddelia(1) (Im not a fan of these either.. but I cant say I hate them... too sprawling, and I dont like the scent.

11. Flowers with eyes (1) (Take a look at luddys lambertsons intros with some light flowers with huge elongated eyes, I think they are GORGEOUS, but thats me)

12. Daylilies (1) egads... Im hoping you are only talking about H. Fulva and not the new hybrids... there are 100's of generations removed from these, with color specturms, edges and eyes that blow my socks off.. =).

13. Hostas (1) Whats funny is I wont buy a hosta.. Ill trade for them or try to start them from seed. I think they are a great shade filler and can bring some amount of order to what would be leaf litter and scraggly shrub brush. But I dont like them enough to buy them.

I think alot of these flowers on peoples list have thier place... I guess the great thing with wintersowing is you can always try something new, rip out what doesnt work for you.

Silverkelt

• shinyalloy_5
    14 years ago

I'm with Trudi's mom on this one. I hate anything that reminds me of wadded up tissue; peonies and peony form flowers, florists carnations, and petunias-especially after it rains then they remind of wet used tissues.

I know it stems from my year round allergies, the last thing I want to see is another kleenex. Unfortunately, I have a white peony bush in the backyard (came with the house) that DH won't let me remove until I've found a sizeable replacement (no 1st year WS seedling here).
    The only thing that makes it worse, is peonies are the Indiana state flower, I cannot walk a block in any direction without having to see them.

Did I mention I HATE peonies?

As for creepy plant garden theme, I'm staring an Addam's Family garden this spring but have not considered putting in loves lies bleeding as I found the color to be much too cheery but do have some rusty/orangey/brown amaranthus that I will be including. I do like aliska's suggestion of sea hollies, I'll be working those in.

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    14 years ago

In the list we'll have to update the pansy vote to 2, me and silver cat!

I couldn't stand hostas for a while because it seemed that whenever people had shade they just put in a bunch of hostas and that was it. Where I came from there wasn't much variety, either. But, up here I'm seeing many different kinds (those elephant ear ones are so cool) and they aren't just plopped in shade like a dump truck came, so I'm starting to like them. The house we bought has hostas lining 3 sides of the foundation, and they do make it look nice and green. Two years ago hostas would have been on my list, too. Now they're growing on me!

• evonnestoryteller
    14 years ago

I dislike a majority of shrubs planted in New England. No one does them right! Every house you go by has some sort of shaped things in front of the house. They are never trimmed well and the shapes are all different. Many of them have dead spots from trimming too much too.

One should have to have some kind of certification around here to plant a shrub.

• origami_master
    14 years ago

I wasn't very impressed with the nigella - I thought the blooms would be bigger and frillier.

Ditto with the double marigolds - way overused and not very attractive to me. I do plant single ones near veggies to help ward off insects.

I just LOVE callas. I've never associated them with funerals before; I've only seen them in weddings.

And frilly white flowers; they do look like wads of tissue. I've never liked petunias. We're growing some in the greenhouse, and the foliage smells really bad.

• silverkelt
    14 years ago

Sorry I missed the peonies.. If this thing keeps going ill add it..

Evonnestoryteller, I agree.. I think the real problem is what people "think" they should plant, Yews and Dwarf Pines and the such, that require alot of work to make it work well, then they get dumped on continually with massive amounts of snow and ice, that bend and break them and frankly cover most of them. I think a hedge done right looks nice, but even dedicated home gardeners have other stuff to do. I have some planted now, but I didnt buy them, the contractor did and had them delivered before we closed on the house... I made sure they were not in the price of this house and told him he could have it back, he said consider it a house warming gift, probable didnt want to bother with lugging those 200 lbs shrubs around.

Anyways.. I created a mixed border with one of mine, the other side will be mostly covered with daylilies in front. Its going to take a couple years to look good though. I usually mix in annuals to make it look different from year to year...

I think we all have our successes and failures, we work soo hard and get our heart broken by something that looks, well dismal , then we have a success, a color combo or plant combo, sometimes planned , sometimes results of a plunk and run and we say... WELL gee whizz thats neat! =)...

{{gwi:216700}}

This will have a # of the same annuals planted next year, but in a different grouping, also adding Climbing rosa John Davis at the corner to add more vertical interest. Also the annual phlox got eaten up by the calendula, so will have to play around with that.. Ha you learn stuff year to year, every year gardening, thats for sure.

This is the other side, my year old daylily seedlings were alot bigger, I had some other stuff bloom in here as well, but never took a updated picture... just close up of what was blooming HA! I hate that winter gem boxwood in the corner, its died at the top and had to cut back, Im thinking about pulling it out entirely..

{{gwi:216703}}

Silverkelt

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    14 years ago

Great thread, even if many of you do hate my boxwoods :) (I never noticed the smell, and they're good foundation covers. Also very classic, i.e. Williamsburg).

As for what I don't like, orange double marigolds (the single yellow are OK, although they seem to turn orange by the end of the summer). Also orange lilies and I'm not fond of my Joe Pye Weed. It's big and I need that in the back of the bed, but it doesn't have much color even when it blooms. If I can get my WS hollyhocks to take off it's gone.

But one of my least favorites is Lady's mantle. It just flopped all over my garden and looked awful for very little flower output.

I also love forsythia -- here in SE PA it's a spring harbinger. We use it as a screening plant so we don't shape it and just trim it back every so often. Can't stand when people prune them into balls and other unnatural shapes.

Geraniums (they're everywhere) and hostas are another dislike, although we've got a few of the latter (the husband likes them and the one on the shade side of the house is HUGE).

• weebay
    14 years ago

you forgot to keep wax begonia on the list.
    it is well hated!
    Also, dusty miller, not really a flower but truly hideous, as well as lambs ears . . .

• morguegirl
    14 years ago

I do not like evening primrose and obedient plant. Pretty enough but just too invasive. Hate the white runners on the obedient plants. They creep me out.

Amy

• vvesper
    14 years ago

Hmmm - I have always liked my boxwoods (remind me of the ones we had when I was small, too) - including the smell of the foliage. Mind you, I don't shear them - I prune just to thin out and keep them more natural. Then last spring I was taken aback by the Godawful odor when they bloomed! Yikes! What IS that?! Why had I never noticed it before? Well, at present that's a short enough part of the year that I plan to keep them. :- )

What don't I like? Well, I'm with you on the big fluffly marigolds, though I like the small french double ones that don't flop over.

I don't like any kind of amaranth or Stella d'Oro daylilies, either, though I love other daylilies. Not crazy about hostas - again the overuse. But some of the newer ones I've seen (or maybe just less common ones) are pretty cool looking.

However, the one flower I really don't care for that probably will cause a collective gasp is echinacea. I don't really know why. I'm ok with daisies and rudbeckias.... It's just something about the echinaceas, especially the standard, purple/fuchsia color ones. Maybe there again it's because every nursery tries to sell them to me. Don't know!

• jaynine
    14 years ago

It's a shame so many dislike petunias! The old fashioned ones are so fragrant & don't need dead-heading; I have to have them in my garden somewhere every year. I also really love forsythia & lady's mantle.
    Sorry to say (don't hate me!), of all hemerocallis, I find H. fulva, flava & other species most tolerable. I think it's the foliage that I find unappealing about daylilies. However, just thinking of touching those disgusting dead, squishy melting flowers gives me goosebumps. Yuck. I still count Lilium longiflorum-Easter Lily-as the worst, though!
    This is a fun thread--I'm really enjoying reading everyone's opinions.

• txcass83
    14 years ago

I agree with those who dislike petunias. Although, I admit last year I planted some when I was trying to sell my house. I regreted it. I semi-dislike pansies, but I crave winter color, so every year I succumb.

One shrub that I abolutely abhor is Dwarf Nandina's. Barf! They look sick all the time. One time a nursery owner told me that they were given a fungus on purpose so that the leaves would turn red and the growth would be stunted. Um, no thank you!

• silverkelt
    14 years ago

LOL, Im not sure I can keep up with everything.. I guess since there are tons of different families of plants, there is stuff we can always find we like and those we dont like.. I think daylilies, that do not have fungal, disease problems here in the north, that are mostly hardy, and have large vivid flowers are nearly perfect...

I think overuse in common landscapes, those done repeatedly in parks, new foundations, or nurseries.. is the key to alot of what we do not like.

I can see the conversation now with the customer to the landscaper... " just put in whatever is cheap and I dont have to take care of..." out comes the stellas , a whole bunch of rows of them and its done... BORING!
    If you dont want to deadhead the daylily flowers, you dont have to, they do dry up and fall off, you can either save the seed pods to play around with or just cut them off. Not all daylilies are the same.. some dont get that smushy, others are really smushy...

Daylily, one of my seedlings...

{{gwi:224568}}

Silverkelt

• dorisl
    14 years ago

eyeball plant.

gives me the heebie jeebies.

I still havent recovered from the Stephen King GMO vine that tried to EAT me in the backyard when we moved it.

It hasnt either (thankfully).

• Orcascove
    14 years ago

I have no delusions that my post will be popular either..Because there are millions of people who love them. But I hate MUMS.. As a garden center employee I have developed a dislike for these plants solely on the shear number of named varieties. If there is a womans name out there that doesn't have a mum to go with it I have yet to discover it. LOL!! But the real point is this. Just how is it that changing the name somehow convinces people that it's a new shade of the same color? I spend weeks, and weeks seperating them by name , but I can tell you orange is orange no matter what name they call it by. Yes you may get orange with a yellow center, or orange with a white center.. But 20 different named varieties of the same shade of orange with a white center seems like overkill to me..

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

I'm not keen on mums and echinacea either, growing a little of the latter.

As to boxwood, never had any, think I saw a lot sculptured in Europe, didn't like it. But I think it was boxwood used as a garden edging in TX with the most beautiful roses, looked high maintenance whatever it was. It was shaped just about the size of a rr tie but living.

One of the best things I ever did was get rid of all my yew and all my privet, don't hate it but just a pain and BORING. I know sometimes unliked plants can be useful depending on location.

And I think my forsythia is coming out this year before it gets any bigger, need the room for something I want more.

• terrene
    14 years ago

I don't really hate any flowers but...

I think the Echinacea 'Doppleganger' is very weird - they look like mutants - like a person who has a ear growing out of the middle of their forehead!! LOL

Another vote for Boxwoods - how boring can you get, green rectangles in the garden. Reminds me of Rubix cubes.

Not crazy about Forsythia either. Most people do not site nor prune these shrubs properly. What a scraggly bunch of misshapen misfits blooming everywhere in the Spring.

I am also not a fan of the same old boring annuals lined up in perfect rows. Do people use a tape measure and chalk line when they're planting? However, they can be pretty when planted in a fresh creative way. And I LIKE Petunias. :)

Any flower that looks like a Pom-pom and any shrub that looks like meatball.

• jannie
    14 years ago

The only flower I don't like is the Hydrangea. For years I mispronounced the name, but Marha Stewart taught me the right way. I call it a "mop-head". But if a "volunteer" popped up I wouldn't rip it out.

• caroline_2008
    14 years ago

Paper whites would be mine for all time, I

was given one as a gift long ago, and had to put it outside

the odor was so strong and NOT good. When I got one just a

few years ago , I threw it in the dump without planting.

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    14 years ago

Hee, hee, what a funny thread!

I hate:

Anything with green flowers. I will probably do a 180 on that one of these years and go ga-ga over green flowers, but right now, there's no need of them.

Grasses. They are brown and dead and stiff in the winter, and weedy-looking in the summer.

Morning Glories. I planted some morning glory seeds many years ago near a porch pillar, and the next year, there was bindweed. Coincidence? I'm not sure, and I'm not taking any chances ever again.

I think there are many more flowers that I love than I hate. And then there are the flowers that hate me, but that will be another thread. ;o)

Lois in PA

• ivyp
    14 years ago

mine is primrose

• booberry85
    14 years ago

I've been lurking on this thread. I'm so glad someone else said ornamental grasses & morning glories. BLECCCCK! I spend so much time weeding grasses and bind weed, I don't want anything that reminds me of them.

• austinnhanasmom
    14 years ago

The only flower I hate is Yarrow - any and all.

Grows like a weed here and kills everything around it.

About impossible to kill.

Great thread!!

• gail14054
    14 years ago

The orange Tiger Lilies found along the roads. I like Lilies and Daylilies, but I think those orange ones are awful!!!

• glad2garden
    14 years ago

Putting my vote for geraniums. They smell bad. They don't move and change. They're stiff and stuck-up.

• dorisl
    14 years ago

I think I have boxwoods, I didnt know it was them that smelled, I just thought a skunk was visiting us at night.....

they dont bloom tho, Ill have to keep this in mind.

• drippy
    14 years ago

I like most of the ones that people hate - but one that really doesn't do it for me is ranunculus. Every time I see a picture of it, I think, "nah, I don't want to plant that".

• pitimpinai
    14 years ago

I like almost everything that other people hate. lol.
    I just fit them in among other plants because I don't plant anything in a row like a sentinel.
    Used judiciously, most plants will be beautiful in a garden.

• adamark
    14 years ago

I guess, I am a rookie but I really like practically all flowers. IÂm happy if I see anything blooming. I even kind of like dandelions but, I hate to pull them out of the garden and I hate those flying seedsÂ

Sliverkelt  I didnÂt even know that daylilies like this exist. I told you, I rookie and I loooove Maine.

• adamark
    14 years ago

One more thing, Mulchy, I love your flowers. Last year, I planted caster bean (wow, now I know the name!) in front of my house near the sidewalk. It grew to enormous size. Everyone was asking what that is. I was telling everyone that it is a monster marihuana tree. My kids were worried that I'll be arrested....

• gardenluv
    Original Author
    14 years ago

adamark that is so funny!!!!! I grew a cleome one year and my husband was ready to kick me out when he first took one glance at it growing! I started laughing, and had to look it up on-line to show him it was not illegal!

• merryrose
    14 years ago

Silverkelt, you should be a diplomat, not just an accountant. All these strong opinions, and you find some common ground. I like this thread cause I love stating strongly how I feel, and I love finding I can turn 180 degrees and find I now strongly feel the opposite. Fun to not take yourself too seriously. With all this, Ivyp, I found myself cringing when you said you hated primrose. Ouch! I felt like you said you didn't like my baby.

• gardenfanatic2003
    14 years ago

Orange ditch lilies...yuck!!

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

Yes, I hate ditch lilies too but some tell me they're hot at plant sales. Go figure. I did find a pretty double one though growing almost wild.

That LLB sure is pretty, thanks for posting the pic. Didn't know they get that big, may not for me. Pretty arrangement but can do without caster beans.

I keep my geraniums going for years, I rather like them, but I'm getting a little weary of it, hate to just throw them out. People are glad enough to get them on freecycle.

I do not enjoy killing otherwise healthy plants and even regret some petunias I yanked, don't know what color they would have been, that rode in with something.

• Chris_in_the_Valley
    14 years ago

Cannas - The are lovely when prime, but I find them nasty for too long as they fade.

Black-Eyed Susans - Weeds in my Maryland yard that I could never manage to eradicate. I had one bloom, 3 inches tall with a 1 inch flower, in my lawn after mowing ended for the season.

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

One or two mentioned not liking green flowers. Generally, I don't either like I've seen a greenish zinnia and echinacea. But I always thought Bells of Ireland were kind of nice for a change but haven't felt a strong urge to try to grow any. There is a peony I really like at Klem's that is white with a green center. I also rather like artemesia if it isn't overdone and ferns, but the latter two aren't really flowers.

Here's for you people who don't like marigolds, Dusty Miller and geraniums lol. They're all there. I was kind of proud of this, and picked up that dracena or whatever it is at Lowe's. The marigolds I had grown from seeds I'd saved and they have been prettier as the summer goes along or I had them too crowded. I have new pots for there and not sure what to put in them, not what's in these for sure. But I'm thinking of LLB and wonder what might go well with those, if anything.

I was perplexed by that blue patch in the upper left-hand corner, but figured out what it is, my neighbor's blue steps.

{{gwi:38795}}

• october17
    14 years ago

I hate my privet hedge when it blooms. Those flowers stink! But, boy do the bees and butterflies love them.

I keep them for the privacy - they must be 10' tall now.

• ormewoodian
    14 years ago

Aaaaahhhh! Pansies, pansies, pansies! SO sick of them. I'm in Georgia and they are all over the place right now.

I know this isn't a flower per-se, but a tree that flowers: BRADFORD PEAR! Bleh.

• lynnencfan
    14 years ago

Love this thread - so many great responses. That being said I too have never met a flower I didn't like and find beauty in all of them....however..... I am not at all fond of the idea that EVERY flower needs to be improved upon by doubling it. I love the pure beauty of a single blossom. Flowers that are doubled start to looking the same and you loose the characteristics of what makes a flower/species unique. You can put me down for pansies as a dislike. I do however love violas and johnny jump-ups and couldn't be without them :) ......

Lynne

• llhowland44
    14 years ago

Ageratum is tops on my list of yuck. My MIL has them randomly interspersed with yellow marigolds in her garden and it just looks wierd. I lived in the South for 10 years and understand the Pansy thing. I used to like them but got sick of them because it seemed every landscaper used them everywhere-I doubt I will ever grow pansy's again. Daylilies are overkilled up here, I have some but I'll probably shovel prune them because they really don't do much for me. I'm with October17-Privet STINKS!

I love orange marigolds, I know they are kind of cheesy but they always attract monarchs to my garden and I love butterflies. I also like alyssum-it smells like honey to me. I plant it in the veg garden to attract beneficials. Gladiolus also remind me of my mom, she used to grow beautiful ones in her Z5 garden (that didn't need to be dug up every year!) I wish I had some of those.

• lynnem
    14 years ago

morning glories, yellow yarrow, and yucca!

Ever tried to get rid of a yucca? There was the funniest thread on one of the forums a few years ago on this subject..

• kvenkat
    14 years ago

Daffodils. Okay, I guess I am the only one who does not like daffodils. I am talking the traditional bright yellow ones. I just don't like that shade of yellow.

Hosta. Its been kicked to the curb already. I've just seen too many planted in full sun where the leaves turned crispy. Yuck.

Boxwood. I have one in front of our house. Hubby will sacrifice his life for it so I guess it will stay, (sigh, the sacrifices we make in marriage....ha,ha)

Liriope. These are so overused in my area and they aren't that impressive either.

Marigolds. I agree that the orange and yellow ones are kinda gaudy. However, I actually like the ivory-white colored ones. I grew some last year. No smell that I noticed.

• Angela DiGiglio
    11 months ago

Petunias have a very old look to me. The color palette is cold and that’s why I do not like them. They are used in plastic hanging baskets. no thank you.

• Markay MD-Zone 7A (8A on new map)
    11 months ago

I can’t think of any flowers I dislike across the board. I gave negative associations with some, but have found that many flowers I thought I did not like can be quite appealing in the right context.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting