SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
newyorkrita

What do you do about daylilies you don't like?

newyorkrita
13 years ago

I have some daylilies growing here that I can't stand. Bonus plants from last year growing very well. Healthy and thriving. Bloomed and I hated the flowers. Now, the flowers were not off or not looking like they should be. They did look like they should look as I look up pictures whenever I can. I just can't stand them.

I have daylilies here that might not be my favorites but they are ok. These are in a different catagory altogether for me.

Plus I know its an indiviual thing. Sometimes I see really "cutting edge" florida daylilies in pics that I absolutely hate. DARLA ANITA would be a perfect example of that. I know many of you grow her and love her and not trying to disagree with anyone, just not for me.

So GALACTIC WARRIOR, a UFO from Ledgewood daylilies makes the top of my hate it list. Next is CINDY JONES a pink with yellow edge. I looked up the picture when I got it, hated it but planted it anyway. You never know. Now I do know. Not for me. The funny part is that I normally LOVE pink with yellow edge but this one is just that dull matt color with no sheen. Yucko to me.

Last is TRANQUIL WATERS. Nice big healthy fans and lots of bloom scapes. Too bad I thought they were ugly, ugly, ugly.

Comments (27)

• njmomma
    13 years ago

I don't care for Darla Anita either.

I just looked up the others and the only one I would consider is Tranquil Waters. Maybe you could sell them at the end of your driveway or give them away here and just make people pay for shipping via paypal.

I'm afraid I may have ordered one or two I shouldn't have and will be in your situation next year when they bloom, but it was my very first time ordering and so many to choose from so I got flustered.

• tjhemmer
    13 years ago

You can give them away, trade them or sell them. While you may not like them others might. One persons trash could be another persons treasure.

My sister also plants them around her church and contributes them for sell at their social.

You can contribute them to a non profic fund raiser, like a plant sale. (Maybe even getting a tax break).

Tom.

• Ed
    13 years ago

Find someone else with similar growing conditions interested in daylilies and trade with them. Maybe on a regular basis even.
    If you belong to a Daylily club, you could donate them for the annual plant sale or you could sell them on the Lily Auction. We all have plants that we don't prefer, but someone else may like them.
    I do grow and like DARLA ANITA because it's a great hybridizing plant.
    Ed

• maximus7116
    13 years ago

Since the daylilies you mention are newer intros, I would do a post offering to trade yours for something you'd rather have. I don't think the "exchange" forum gets much action, but you could do a separate post here letting people know you have a message on there regarding your daylilies available for trade.

If this doesn't work for you (and again, because they're newer daylilies), you could try your hand on the Lily Auction. If you're only selling a few, it should be relatively easy to handle.

• gonegardening
    13 years ago

You could donate them to your club's next sale. It's true that something you may not like, someone else will.

You could sell them on the LA....although, I probably wouldn't use your descriptions (grin).

There are spring and fall trades on the AHS Robin...you could offer them up there. On those, you can list what you'd like to have....and see what happens.

I'm shocked at Cindy Jones. I will say this, I've had a few daylilies that the first year they bloomed, I wasn't sure they were for me. For various reasons, they are still around...and this year...they are stunningly beautiful! I'm really glad I didn't rush to move them out.

Since I am now in such bad shape for space, I walk around and look at various daylilies and tell them they are moving...half the time, the next blooms are so great that I wonder what I was thinking!

But, hey...the bottom line is that your daylilies should please you. I see no point in growing ones that don't make you glad you have them. So, depending on your situation, move them out (if you don't need/want the $$, offer them to fellow club members...just say, you need the space for new ones coming in). Now that you've been visiting some gardens, you've probably seen some that could fill those spaces...and that you know you'll like!

Bonus daylilies are gifts...which means you can do what you like with them (besides growing them, if that's your choice)...I have found several bonus plants new homes this year. One, just today....a neighbor came by and admired it...and I was only too happy to give it to her (it was sitting in the pot ghetto blooming today).

Good luck!

• Nancy
    13 years ago

I thought EVERYONE loved Darla Anita. I just ordered it because it seemed to be a favorite. I do like the look of it in pictures & seems to be consistent. Cindy Jones looks lovely I think, & I love pictures of Tranquil Waters. Of course, there are few daylilies I don't like, you can just send your poor unloved daylilies my way :)
    I got Jerry Nettles last year as a bonus plant, thought I would love it, but most of the first blooms were really blotchy. Some of the last blooms looked really nice, but I like plants that are consistent. Century Club never even bloomed for me this year. Older daylilies seem to all be consistently nice, I may have to stick to those.

• Edward_Kimball
    13 years ago

Sell them to club members or trade for something you do like. The ones that you have mentioned have great value to many people. If I were in the States I would trade for all that you mentioned except Darla Anita. I have a couple that I am not sure of yet: Rice's Elusive Happiness and Herr's Roger Herr. I am going to give them a year and if I don't like them I will trade them.

Edward

• fairysoapgirl
    13 years ago

Sounds like there are quite a few good ideas above, but I wanted to add that they could come live in my garden! :o) Especially Tranquil Waters and Cindy Jones. I do have a few I could trade... but not sure what would be NY winter hardy, or what you'd like...

Funny how people's tastes differ...

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I was just thinking about TRANQUIL WATERS as I was ouside watering my daylilies and potted plants. I seem to remember someone lately had a picture posted of it in one of the pictures threads lately. Maybe I am wrong and immagining it but the name is nagging at my mind like I should just remember where I saw it.

If it was you or you know the thread bump it up for me. Of course I could just be dreaming up the whole thing.

Then there was last fall when I got GALACTIC WARRIOR as a bonus. I posted on the spider robin about getting it and hoping it went thru the winter because I wanted to see the bloom for myself. I didn't say that I really didn't like the picture on the Ledgewood website. I was thinking I needed to see some of these weird (to me) flowers for myself in person. Well, people there though I was a lucky dog to get such a fabulous flower as a bonus and no, I am not being sarcastic. They ment it. So tastes vary lots and lots and lots. Good thing there are so many daylilies so that we can all find ones that we absolutely love.

• shortyhead
    13 years ago

I LOVE Darla Anita. I ordered it this year, and today it is blooming for the third time. I would be so pleased to take it off your hands. Price of postage? More? I think she's gorgeous. What can we work out. If you'd like to send an email, my email address is

jimchaney@cableone.net
    please put a note in the subject heading like DF or Daylily, so I can tell the difference between your letter and spam.

Thanks,

Jim

• justmetoo
    13 years ago

link for NYRita

Here is a link that might be useful: requested link, tranquil waters

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

justmetoo-Thanks. I am pretty sure that was not the picture I was thinking of as I thought it was on another post and this one I didn't even remember. I can tell you that the flower in my garden was much, much lighter and looked nothing like Debra's picture in the other post.

Jim- Sorry to dissapoint you but I don't have DARLA ANITA. I just have never liked the looks of her in pictures. Much too much gooby aweful chicken fat edges for my taste. Then there is the color which never seems to be the same in any two pictures and is often splotchy.

• shortyhead
    13 years ago

It's Ok, Rita, tho' my tears must flow. :) . What in the world is gooby? And I have seen the term "chicken fat" in a few postings, but don't know what it is.

But since I think that Darla Anita is just splendid, I may well love gooby with chicken fat edges. :) Lol.

Jim

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Chicken fat refers to the exceptionaly thickly crinkled wide edges that look (to some) like the gobs of fat when you buy a chicken to cook. I guess gooby means lots of lots of fat. Maybe its not even a real word and I made it up :-))

• purplefairylady
    13 years ago

Since i am new to the forum, can someone tell me where i would find the trade section.

I agree with everyones comments above, there is always a way if you really don't want the plants. I personally would sell or trade them so you can buy new babies that you do want.

• maximus7116
    13 years ago

On the first page of the daylily forum, there's an option called "Exchanges" where folks list their available daylilies or the ones they're looking for.

• lynxe
    13 years ago

I'd give them another year before you make the decision to give them the boot. You might find that they're ral stunners next summer.

Except DARLA ANITA of course ....not that you have that one, but if you did, my vote would have gone for kick it out of there. Every year, I've seen it in the local display garden I visit. Hate it, just hate it. Saw it again this weekend. Definitely one of the ugliest daylilies on the planet LOL. Is there a color called "blech"?

• lefox
    13 years ago

I had a few too ---they just did not fit here. I dug them up and brought them to
    our senior center---they have a gardening circle and the girls just loved them--

it was kool to make them happy with the ones that didn't work out .

Now the seniors call me with free veggies and fresh eggs--

cole lefox

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have thought about selling on the Lily Auction but honestly just don't feel I have the time. Too much to do as it is already. Meanwhile it has too hot to do anything in the garden.

• mizellie
    13 years ago

Rita, I may have posted a pic of Tranquil Waters. I do like Darla Anita and don't have Cindy Jones. However, in answer to your question. I dig mine up , put them in a bucket with a little water and take them to Collinsville, Al ( trade day, the largest in the US ) and sell them. you just ge a pittance for them but, if they bonuses, you don't lose anything. trade Day is 15 or 20 miles for me. that's what I do...OR toss em' in my woods. The woods here are full of my dls and I saw a couple that bloomed there this year...Ellie

{{gwi:861460}}

• kitcatclub
    13 years ago

I bring them to work and give them to my co-workers. I do that with a lot of the extra divisions and seedling plants in the spring. This year I brought in 10 or so divisions of Siloam Doodlebug and 8 divisions of Snowy Eyes and a few of some others. I also bring in other plants, like Lady's mantle, iris, perennial geraniums and stuff. I hate composting perfectly good plants and I'm too lazy to sell them.

Most of my co-workers are not die-hard gardeners like us and don't care about things like names and genetics - they're just happy to get a nice plant with neat flowers for free! I've been doing this for a few years and it's always fun to have people come back to me and rave over a plant I gave them a year or 2 ago.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ellie- Your TRANQUIL WATERS loks alot better than mine. And I do believe it was your picture I was thinking of. Thank you for reposting.

• madflower
    13 years ago

I just share them with other people.

• mizellie
    13 years ago

Rita, is yours new? If it is you may want to cut her some slack and give her another bloom season. I find a lot of times, it helps me to decide and not make a mistake that I will regret. Ellie

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I planted it last year but it didn't bloom until this year. I am sure it could get alot better as I don't see how it could get worse looking. Maybe its just me. I mean the flower was the color of your picture and not splotchy or anything. I just took quite a dislike to it.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So, I decided at least for now to give TRANQUIL WATERS another chance. Mainly because it is in an out of the way spot and not were I need to plant anything else. CINDY JONES was in a nice spot in my front yard daylily garden and I have better things I can transplant into that spot. Its going to a new home (not the compost pile, a real new home).

• nanny56
    13 years ago

I thought I was the only one that thought Darla Anita is ugly!! LOL I am not that fond of Daring Deception(?) either!

I had Royal Braid last year which I hated and traded here on GW with someone and got Chicago Apache which i do like! I had a Strawberry Candy which I hated too, dug it out and gave it to someone walking down the road.

I just got rid of a Dragon's Eye wich had never bloomed... it went in the trash since it seemed to be a problem for lots of people. Didn't want to pass it on.

If nothing man trade for postage and then buy something you like!! I will be glad when mine get big enough to trade. Because I want Creature of the Night and Royal Celebration!!