SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lissa1020

Fertilizer for Teas, China's, and a few D Austin's - what works

lissa1020
9 years ago

Hello everyone. I live in zone 9a and have clay, caliche soil. I haven't had a soil test, but assume because of the caliche it is alkaline. Other than adding acidified cotton bur compost and osmocote at planting two years ago, I haven't fertilized again and want to feed them something before I start to encounter problems. I bought some Epsom salt, but then started reading that I shouldn't use that if I have alkaline soils. I've thought of ordering dr. Earth or garden alive for roses. I've considered alfalfa, but again read that's more for acidic soils. Please help...this is so confusing! I don't really want to make alfalfa tea :/ I just don't think I would do that on a regular basis.
I mulch with pine bark mulch. No spray regimine. I have mostly teas and China's...mrs. B R Cant, duchese de Brabant, spice, cramoise superior (sp), clotilde soupert, SDLM, as well as Belinda's dream, MAC, and a few D Austin's. Anyone with experience growing some of these in alkaline clay? Your expertise will be most appreciated!

Comments (16)