SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yeonasky

Continuity in the garden

yeonasky
17 years ago

I'm what some call a plant collector. I tend to buy one ofs more often than not. This has led to a problem of my garden looking choppy, meaning the eye gets caught by all the different plants, which have greatly varying foliage texture and foliage and flower colors. I'd like to step up my flowers and increase the continuity of the garden. The idea that has come to mind is using two or three of the long blooming plants mentioned on Lauren_stl's "Longest blooming perennial this year" thread. I was thinking of a grouping of nepeta walkers low, Veronica Icicle and maybe Salvia Cardonna or S May Night and Kalimeris pinnatifida if I can find it. I'd also like to have some low to medium height rosemary or heather, or? to have an evergreen presence in the winter.

If you have any thoughts or ideas about my plan I'd appreciate your input. What have you done to create visual flow, and some winter interest as well? What colors did you choose for flow? Do you use strong colors, or would softer colors like nepeta send the eye searching for the next nepeta. Also how do I calculate how far apart the plant or group of plants should be?

The garden is full sun, and has fairly good, slightly acid, soil, with lots of rain except in summer.

Thanks in advance for any help with my endeavor to give cohesion and color to my garden.

Yeona

Comments (14)