SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
waterbug_guy

Japanese Garden 2

waterbug_guy
9 years ago

Continued from Japanese Garden. Breaking up threads, hope that's OK.

Made a rock mover. Had all the parts laying around. 1.5" square tube 1/8" thick wall. The tube runs under the grey pan.
{{gwi:2122699}}

{{gwi:2122700}}

First rock wasn't too big, I could roll it. This time I took the time to actually measure the rock to estimate weight and this one is 400 lbs. No strapping was needed it rode well.
{{gwi:2122701}}

{{gwi:2122702}}

Wheels did bow out a bit. Was more work pushing than I expected and this was all on concrete sidewalk. Ground is too wet for an over land test. Was easy to tip the rock off, just lift the mover's handles.
{{gwi:2122703}}

Stepping it up to a 600 lb rock. This one I couldn't really roll. I could roll it over on 2 sides, so I could get it propped up, move the mover in and tip it over onto the mover at least part way.
{{gwi:2122704}}

Then pry bar it up and stick some rocks under it to keep it up. But raising the mover would have tipped the rock back off so I wrapped a rope around it and used a come along to tighten. That worked well.
{{gwi:2122705}}

However the wheels were at their limit, a bit beyond. Each wheel is rated for 300 lbs and were half flat when I raised the rock. Half flat I couldn't move it. The total load on the wheels was rock + me + mover = 800 lbs.

It took all of my weight to raise the rock so wouldn't have been able to move it even if the wheels were OK. I'll have to make a bed so I can pile rocks on it to counter balance the rock.

Just to double check my estimate of the rock's weight the lever's input distance is 69" the output distance is about 20" so about a 3.45 advantage * my weight of 175 lbs is 600 lbs. So pretty good estimate.

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer