SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aezarien

Elm Tree Health First Impression

aezarien
15 years ago

So, I have done a little research on trees in general and while I am a little more well informed for it, I feel like I am still really in the dark as to what to do.

Behind the aforementioned 125ft of arborvitae we have about six feet of property that is lined with 125ft of elm trees and an assorted variety of other trees that planted themselves. We have been working on removing all of the baby box elders, privet, and assorted weeds and the more we are looking at these elm trees the worse they look. We took a few skinny ones down that were obviously dead. All of these trees are a good 30+ feet tall. They are planted about 5 to no more than 7 feet apart and the trunks are about 6 to 8 inches in diameter on half of them. The other half have double and triple trunks and they droop over so far that you actually run into the branches while walking in the yard on one side. They lay on my neighbor's garage on the other side. Some have slime flux, and all of them have what looks like little worm holes up and down the trunk. All of them have branches that were broke off in storms and some have the entire tops broken off of them. The ones that are single trunked lean in all different directions. To make matters worse, where our property meets the neighbors they have planted scrub pines and cedar trees and they have an assortment of weeds, privet, and other self planted trees as well.

My first impression of the situation, with what little I know, is that they were initially planted too close together and never pruned appropriately. It seems as if they are in such bad condition that there is no help for them. While I am sure the removal of some of the competition and pruning will improve growth I wonder how much and if it would be better just to take them all out and replace them with new trees.

I am all for preservation but I guess my main concern is... by taking on the restoration of these trees am I banging my head against a brick wall when I could achieve better results by starting from the ground up?

Comments (2)