SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mattyg515

Chinese Elm trim and soil advice

MattyG515
12 years ago

A few months ago I purchased a Chinese Elm at a local nursery, upon the advice of some on this forum I quickly repotted in a "bonsai" soil more specifically "Black Gold bonsai mix." This was before my many hours of reading Al's posts about container soils and water retention and movement in container soils. I want to repot into one of Al's mixes but I'm a little confused as to which mix would suit this tree the best. My first thought was the 1-1-1 mix but I also read and saw in some Al's replies that he puts some of his bonsai's in just turface. I have no problem watering everyday and would actually preffer it. I really enjoy visiting my plants daily to see the changes. Also when would be the best time, for the tree, to repot? I would like to do it as soon as I can but the tree is doing rather well in the bag mix so there's no pressing need for it. As far as trimming goes, this is my first bonsai and I really have no clue as to how to go about getting this little guy all trimmed up. I've read a few books and googled thousands of pics but I don't really know how much help that has been since each tree is different and needs to be trimmed (atleast I think it does) accordingly. Here are a few pics of the tree. The first is what I like to think of as the front (it's more appealing to my eye than the reverse side) but I might be wrong. I turned the tree counter clockwise and the pic from above is with the front of the tree facing the bottom of the pic. Any advice you guys or gals can give me on getting this tree looking it's best is truly greatly appreciated.

TIA

Matty

{{gwi:18666}}

{{gwi:18667}}

{{gwi:18668}}

{{gwi:18669}}

{{gwi:18671}}

Comments (12)

Sponsored