SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bentley_on

Modifying and starting with components in my earthmachine

bentley_on
16 years ago

I have to install, begin using, or fill my my http://earthmachine.com/#. To start out with I have two garbage cans of grass clippings. I also have a kitchen compost keeper basket. I donÂt know how much my small kitchen contribution will be (where can I get a complete list online of what to do with each and every thing likely to come out of a kitchen before it goes into a compost pile?), and 365 newspapers per year. I am curious what happens with the ink; isnÂt it bad; can there be too much? IÂll have to wait until fall for leaves. I may be able to borrow a bag of leaves if much better. I have a privat hedge. Is it best to source out a matching quantity of C before I put all of the grass (N) in the m/c?

The m/c has two rows of venting slits, 4 sets on top, and 7 sets on the bottom, each set with five 3/8"W x 4"H cut-out slits, a total of about 3" wide by 4" high but they have provided no way to cover the holes. How can I add some type of slit covering addition to my conical shaped plastic m/c? The 30" x 30" m/c has a removable top at half height, and the front door is 1/3 of the full height and about 12" wide.

As far as getting used to figuring out the C:N proportions, can I see how the mixture is coming along by eye at any stage, regardless, to see whatÂs going on wrt the C:N proportion?

I have the one earth machine for one pile one stage, but will there be levels?

So using my one bin, the C or N component will either be in surplus or demand, will I have an imaginary line with a good C:N mixture below, composting on the bottom of the pile, And will I need to turn above and below that imaginary line, as lower stuff will be more ready than higher stuff. OR should I keep the whole pile a good C:N mixture and leave out all extras until I have a supply compliment component. That is: Does this mean digging out or adding component at level 4 and putting it at level 3, or 2 to 1, etc; can there be many levels?, or always just very lowest to very highest? OR should I just toss it all in (with or without reason) and wait for the one whole pile to tell me whatÂs missing as a whole down the final stretch.

Please jump in anywhere if you can, I canÂt wait any longer to straighten this mess out. I'll take my chances with what I get.

Comments (5)