SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anderson_dc

Northern Red Oak

anderson_dc
13 years ago

We planted a 4.5" trunk diameter red oak in our yard this past April.

Information

-Zone 5a (Central Iowa)

-Native soil is clay, but not real hard packed

-Our trees were purchased from a tree farm about 4 miles from our house

-The tree was spaded in

-Its kind of hard to judge the new growth but there is a quite a few leaves on the tree

-About every 2-3 weeks around the drip line i will slow drip 5 gallons of water mixed with a plant start fertilizer (3-10-3 with rooting hormone and some other goodies) and after that i will slow drip another 5 gallons of water. It takes about 15-20 mins for the 5 gallons to empty.

-Ive also used a Ross root feeder and watered around the drip line about 12" down in the soil on the weeks that im not slow dripping the 10 gallons of water.

-As of late i havent been able to do this since we've had quite a bit of rain the past 3 weeks and the soil is already moist enough.

Questions:

-Is there anything i need to do differently or in addition to what im already doing?

-I havent mulched yet. When i do, how far from the trunk should i extend the mulch?

-Do red oaks prefer a wet, moist, or dry soil?

-The leafs on the tree arent quite as large as the leafs on similar sized red oaks where we bought them from. Do i chalk it up to transplant stress and loss or feeder roots since it is a pretty good sized tree? The owner said that our tree might sit for a year and he doesnt like to transplant trees with trunk diameters above 5" with his tree spade since they dont take very well.

-The tree is producing a handful of acorns already so im assuming some of the tree's energy is going into that and not necessarily leaf or root formation?

-When we had temps in the upper 80's and lower 90's the new leafs were taking a pretty good beating. Keep in mind that this tree is on the south side of the house and in full sun. Any suggestions to help the new leaves from drying out?

-I noticed a 1/8" to 1/4" diameter root come up between where the tree was spaded in and the native soil. I cut it as close to the ground as possible. Would it be accurate to assume that the tree was making roots out into the native soil and took the path of least resistence? Ive noticed the maple and norway spruce which were spaded in do the same thing.

Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated and thanks!

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths