SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drrich2

Northern Red Oak feasibility

drrich2
14 years ago

Hi. New here & could use some help.

My wife & I bought a house on a 1.14 acre lot in zone 6 southern KY. About 2/3'rds of the lot is backyard. We planted an October Glory Red Maple (about 12+ feet tall) in the front part of the backyard, and want to plant a large, fast-growing deciduous shade tree in the back part. Haven't had the soil tested yet. We hope to live there 3 years while my wife goes to college; after that, we don't know yet.

Since White Oak are said to be slow-growing, have a tap root, transplant poorly and ideally should be grown from an acorn on-site, that's not an option. I read that oaks generally feature a tap root, and transplanting can mess with that and stunt growth. So I've got to wonder even about the more commonly endorsed Northern Red Oak.

I've also read somewhere that saplings (maybe 6-8' tall?) over some years tend to equal and then overtake trees that were larger at the start (i.e.: 12' tall or so). Is this true? Is it counter-productive to buy & plant a 12' tree, instead of a 6' tree? Does this seem to hold for most all species?

So far, Northern Red Oak and Sycamore are looking good. River Birch's peeling bark looks neat, but I'm not as fond of the look of birch leaves. Might consider it, though.

Ideally I'd like to plant a 12+' Northern Red Oak, but if I'd need to start with a little tree 3' or less tall and it'd take a year to establish and get growing, naturally that's not optimal.

And would a Sycamore just leave a Northern Red Oak in the dust, growth-wise?

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Richard.

Comments (13)