SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crocosmia_mn

Question about Rosa foetida bicolor, the Austrian Copper rose

crocosmia_mn
14 years ago

Is anyone familiar with this weird old species rose?

This is my first rose and I am not sure how to handle its idiosyncracies! I planted it last spring and now this spring it had all-yellow blooms on its two long new canes.

Now, coming from one of the short old canes that were present when I bought the rose is one red-and-yellow bloom, which is what I want! It made me wonder if the long new canes with all yellow flowers were maybe coming from the rootstock. But I also found these sentences in three different articles on the bicolor:

"It can throw stems that flower a bright yellow bloom like its parent, Rosa foetida, which make it visually so interesting to have both colored flowers on one plant."

"Sometimes produces all yellow flowers."

"'R. f. bicolor' commonly sports back to 'R. foetida'."

What I'm wondering is whether to cut off the all-yellow canes or wait and see what they do next year. I don't know if this makes a difference, but I was told to bury the graft two inches deep here in Minnesota. Why a species rose would have a graft at all, I do not understand, but, as I said, this is my first rose and I don't know much!

I don't mind some of the blooms being yellow, since this seems to be its nature, but I would like to encourage the bicolor blooms.

Thanks,

Nancy

Comments (5)