SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thebluemoth

1st time using WS method, and...

thebluemoth
11 years ago

I'm SO glad to have a community where I can share my results with people who will understand!

Don't get me wrong, sharing stories of my progress on FB is great and I do get replies and inspire others to garden, but it's definitely NOT the same as having the eyes/ears of other gardeners. Gardeners who understand what it means when you lose half a day's work and a full season of growth to moles or watch as beautiful seedlings suddenly up and die for any number of reasons.

Last year, I had a really good garden in terms of what I planted early via the direct sow method, but my chickens ate and/or scratched up almost everything planted later in the season, and proved to be an even greater hindrance in terms of the fall planting I had in mind. However, my Ravenous Horde is now behind bars and I can actually get back to the actual practice of gardening again.

I've saved containers for months in preparation for trying out the method of winter sowing, and I now have several containers ready & waiting to be filled. I have (more or less) figured out which seeds I'm going to start with and I've also prepared the soil and it's ready to go.

But I have one question I want to ask those of you who've done it (WS) before...how do I determine how many seeds to place in each container? I don't want to waste space, but I also don't want to sow too thickly either.

I'd like some general rules of thumb to follow, please...your general rules, in fact...:).

Also, I have some blue potatoes with some really beautiful sprouts beginning to develop. Ideas or suggestions for a first time potato grower? I have a feeling they could be planted now, I just don't really know quite how to begin. I have some really nice areas where they could be growing, but not sure what kind of environment they prefer either.

Thanks ahead of time...:)

Blue

Comments (12)

Sponsored