SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Those roses better please me or they are gonna leave me.

newyorkrita
14 years ago

If I am buying a potted rose in bloom I can see the blooms are know if I like it or not. But so many of my roses were and still are bought based on pictures. This is true for mail order and also true for early spring milk carton type purchases were there is only a picture slapped on a box to go by. So I might be wrong about it and the blooms might not please me.

Then again the flowers could be fine looking but they always rotted as in the case of Comte de Chambord (Spelling?). Since I could never smell the famous scent that people point out it had two strikes and last summer it left permantly.

Then again it could be one of those that need more space than I had in mind and are never happy unless they are either going to be large shrubs, throw out long canes, or both. Examples for me would be Robusta, I just loved the flowers but the shape was so open and lanky. Falstaff bloomed in the spring and then started throwing octopus canes. Golden Celebration needed to be a large shreading shrub that has an encreadible spring flush and nothing thereafter. All of them are gone from my garden.

Two little small flowered bloomers did nothing for me, Rose de Recht and one supposed to be red I bought from Ashdown. Outta here last year.

Outrageous continues to be a very poor preformer. I will choose another rose for that spot from all my recent purchases or just transplant one of the smaller ones from last years Heirloom order. Will be shovel prunning after the spring flush is done here.

I also just gave away Quietness. I thought it would be pink. Pale pink but still pink. It opens the palest pink but immediately fades to white. Healthy, strong grower, but not what I wanted. I don't like white roses. Same deal for Magnificent Perfume last year. Too white, no pink color. Gave that away last year.

So lately I have gone on a spree buying roses from Heirloom, Vintage, Ashdown, ARE and Rogue Valley Roses. I did my best to choose roses I thought I would love. But I am not really afaid of making a mistake, if its not what I wanted for one reason or another then that means it doesn't please me. Roses in my garden get a fair chance to show their stuff but if if they continue not to please me then they are surely going to be leaving me and my garden.

Comments (9)