SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dovetail_gw

A.V for office enviroment?

Dovetail
10 years ago

Hello everyone,

I had a small African Violet plant a year or two ago and LOVED IT, unfortunately my ferret loved it too...

I now have a new job working as an office clerk at the city where I live. The office is bright, and open with a few windows and a long front counter. Each of us has our own desk. Mine is in the corner sort of away from the windows, but still with the general overhead lighting.

The office seems to be pretty temperate so far, but the supervisor happened to mention that the heating and cooling can be pretty odd. if they jack up the a.c to cool the back, we'll get cold up front, and vice versa. By "cold" I assume she meant "office cold" like 65ish.

I read once they like fertilizer, but I'm not sure what kind. I do have some perlite I bought from my old plant so that I could mix it with the potting soil to help it drain better (which might be why I had trouble keeping it moist?)

I have NOT ASKED if I can have a plant yet...since I only just started. I love plants though, and an African violet is small, beautiful and wont drip water everywhere since you water them from the bottom.

So, what I am wondering, is. Will an African violet flourish in an office environment? I assume at night it'll be dark, except for the window light, and the daytime will have typical office lighting.

I'd love a beautiful little plant for my desk, and my mind sprung to these cuties right away.

Furthermore, my last plant was from wal-mart (ick) and they were all a generic purple.

I know they can be propagated from leaves and I am interested in some of the more colorful varieties like pale blues or lovely pinks.

Do we have a leaf exchange, or somewhere I could get a lovely plant for an even lovelier price? (aka, just shipping? I would of course return the favor with sharing leaves in my own time)
I am student too, and so my budget is pretty much zip. I think if I could save on a plant I might be able to afford a nice pot to keep it in.

So, any thoughts and advice?

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County