SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oberci

Lasagna in existing foundation beds?

oberci
11 years ago

Hello all,

I'm having trouble finding information on whether or not I can use the lasagna method to improve the soil in existing beds (not raised beds) around the foundation of my home, currently containing perennials and some trees. In Lanza's book there's a super brief mention of it but it doesn't go into detail, so I'm not sure how exactly to go about doing it.

The previous owner put in a few plants but definitely left a lot of bare spots and just covered the negative space with wood chips. There's also a cement border separating the area from the lawn. However, they used that black tarp underneath, laying mulch on top, so the soil is pretty nutrient free, and has a high clay content. :( From what I can gather the lasagna method would eventually help improve the underlying soil, so it would be easier to dig a hole for planting.

I really don't want to create raised beds in this area but I was wondering if I could adopt the lasagna method by working around the existing plants? I'm hoping to do this within the next month or so and begin planting in the spring. I'm thinking that I'll remove the existing wood mulch, which is 5 years old and would need replacing anyway, and keep it to use as one of the lasagna layers. Obviously, I'll be ripping out the landscape fabric and then laying down the layers on top of the bare soil, a few inches away from the base of any existing plants. How does this sound? Would appreciate any and all help :)

Comments (14)