SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katrina1_gw

Sourwood tree standing straight now

katrina1
15 years ago

Yeh,

A day of hyper strong winds blew through and at the soil level broke the 1" x 1" 6 foot tall, Oak wood stake that I had first installed on this tree when planting almost 4 years ago.

Back when I first acquired my Sourwood tree it had no main leader growing straight up. Instead all the growth bent over toward the ground. The only way to train a good main leader was to pick the best potential leader and tie it directly to that 6 foot tall oak stake.

All these years I wondered if the tree would strengthen enough for the leader I chose to ever stand straight on its own.

It is very exciting to see now, after such a long time with it being staked in a manner where the leader trunk I was training could not move with the wind, that the tree has strengthened its main leader enough for it to now, even with the stake gone, stand straight like it a real tree does; instead of returning to its orginal bush like growing form.

This spring the tree's canopy also seemes to be increasing more generously in size than it ever has in the past.

Love this tree. Every year its flowers have appeared so lovely that I yearned for the tree to hurry abd increase in size, so it would begin to show even larger displays of flowering.

What a good little tree this has been for me. While it seemed to take a long time to establish well, It survived nicely through several years of drought. It also nicely overcame the stress it experienced in the last two years, when hard freezes overnight and quick daytime warm-up hit several times during both years in early spring; always shortly after the tree had already broken dormancy. The tree was especially good to avoid experiencing trunk split, when those late freezes affected it even after the sap had already begun flowing up through the main leader and toward the canopy.

I just love how this little tree has proven to be so resistant to shock, and showing such strength to survive through its early establishment years

Comments (12)