SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_thefarm

Strangers in the night

melissa_thefarm
10 years ago

Do you ever get the feeling that, unbeknownst to you, plants are moving into your garden (or pot ghetto) while you sleep? This morning I was looking in bafflement at two roses I have in large pots in the pot ghetto. They have both just come into bloom. They're both ramblers: one has small double pure white blooms, the other dusky little double lavender flowers almost like a double violet, pretty as can be. I have no idea where these came from. Actually, perhaps I do have an idea. A few years ago I was sent cuttings by a lady on the island of Elba: she told me they were ramblers but she didn't know their names. I may not have planted out all the roses I got from those cuttings. The thing is, though, is that I saw those roses when they first bloomed and I don't remember them looking at all like these ones in the pots. A mystery.
About three years ago I bought two different purple ramblers--both darker than the baby in the pot--and a couple of double white ramblers, which I hope are not duplicates either. The purple and white contrast isn't as pretty as I hoped. Perhaps I need to propagate a couple of plants of 'Goldfinch' which is growing down in the shade garden, and which I only have one plant of. And I have a baby 'Ghislaine de Feligonde' which is going to need a home. A cool pink, not too saturated, would look good with the dark purple roses, too.
Melissa
P.S. Memory revives: someone also sent me cuttings a few years ago of a purple rambler, which grew (and was tremendously chlorotic: I do recall that). I don't remember what I did with those plants. Perhaps one ended up in the pot ghetto.

Comments (9)