SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
the_writ

I Think I'm In Trouble...

the_writ
14 years ago

This falls under the catagory of "Be careful what you wish for".

A couple months ago my sister noticed my compost pile and asked me if I wanted her to save her grass clippings when she mows the yard as she has a bagging mower and just throws them into the dumpster. I told her that I would gladly take them and compost them down for my garden.

Time goes by with no mention of grass clippings so I figured that she had either forgot or didn't feel like being bothered with saving them after all.

Two days ago she showed up and made good on her promise of delivery. Problem is, in trying to be extra helpful, she decided to enlist a few of her friends in the venture and got them to save their grass clippings as well. In the back of her truck were four drum sized trashbags of wet grass clippings that they all had been saving... for two months. It wasn't until after she left and I wheeled the last bag around back and dumped it next to the compost pile that I realized what I had gotten myself into. The last bag split slightly open as I tumped it over I was pummeled with a putrid nastyness that had me back peddeling to escape it. It was evil.

That was two days ago. The smell has since grown and occupies not only the compost area but most of the back patio and is creeping towards the house. I keep peering around the corner of the house at the vile things wondering if I should just bust them open and spread them out over the compost pile area and hope they dry out and the smell goes away quickly. Only problem is it keeps raining and the neighbors house is about twenty feet away. I prey she doesn't decide to venture over to that part of her yard.

If I open them and spread them out, how long would it take for the smell to go away? I don't have any leaves or any sort of browns to speak of but I suppose I could go raid the dumpster behind the supermarket for cardboard boxes but how much would I need and how long until that helps the smell?

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Comments (10)