SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karolina11_gw

Odd growth - seeking second opinion

Karolina11
9 years ago

(Edit-> Please also see newer photos posted a few replies down. Thank you.)

Hello gardeners! I was hoping to get another opinion on some odd rose growth.

This is quite embarrassing to show so bare with me. I started to kill grass in a small section of my yard last fall with plastic but started a new job before I was able to fully ensure it was dead. This spring it looked dead so I planted a few things in it as my other beds were full. Of course it is now a meadow and I am working a seven day project that requires lots of travel so I have had no time to attack it. So I understand that it is possibly this neglect that is negatively affecting the rose growing in it. However, it looks different than most growth I am seeing so I would feel better with your thoughts.

Background -
The rose in question is a Tournament of Roses Grandiflora planted in the spring/late winter. It is grafted unto multiflora. I am in central/eastern Pennsylvania (zone 6b) so RRD is quite prevalent in the area. The only herbicide in use in the yard is Preen (Trifluralin) and it obviously has not been used in this bed. No insecticides, fungicides, or pesticides have been used. Roses were fertilized lightly with nitrogen a few weeks ago right before the spring flush. Please let me know if I should provide any more information or other photos. I am trying to figure out whether I should just watch this rose, cut canes back (although all canes look odd), or yank it. The bottom of the bush looks perfectly fine but the top has only very skinny odd looking leaves all over. I am not familiar with the growth habit of this bush. Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you for your time!

{{gwi:291018}}
{{gwi:291021}}
{{gwi:291023}}
{{gwi:291024}}
{{gwi:291025}}
{{gwi:291026}}
{{gwi:291027}}

This post was edited by Karolina11 on Sun, Jun 29, 14 at 15:47

Comments (11)