SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
psbjmb

New rose-addict - bareroot questions

psbjmb
13 years ago

Hello all!

I've just discovered this part of the forums after lurking at the Garden Junk site for quite a while. I am a total rose newbie, but decided this year that I HAD to have roses in my yard, so I ordered 17 bare root roses (from Jackson & Perkins sale and Park Seeds) and received them about a week ago. I think it's probably a little late, but I'm hoping that some (well, really I'm hoping ALL) of them will survive and eventually thrive. I planted four within a day of receiving them (following all directions as far as soaking, hole size, etc.) Those four look ok, no leaves yet, but canes still nice and green.

That brings me to my dilemma. I left the others closed in the boxes for about 2 more days. Then I realized how hot we had gotten and decided I needed to plant them asap. I soaked them and planted them in large pots on my patio for now. But some of those canes are looking brownish (all still have at least a little green). Is it possible for them to still survive? Is there any babying I can do to help them?

Just FYI, I'm in southern Arizona (Sierra Vista area), at a higher elevation than Phoenix (usually 10-15 degrees cooler), but we have had a couple of 100 degree days this week. All the plants are mulched with several inches of organic mulch. I purchased many different varieties (listed below). I couldn't stop myself from ordering that many. When I get addicted, I am throw myself into my addictions head first :-)

I hope this isn't too long of a post - but I'm looking for hope that the brownish plants might still survive ... I am voraciously reading the old posts around here to see what else I can learn. Any and all advice (or constructive criticism, lol) is greatly appreciated!

Patty

Here's the varieties I purchased:

Park Seeds:

Full Sail, Betty Boop, Jardines de Bagatelle, Frederic Mistral,

J&P:

Sweet Freedom, Peace, Gemini, Aromatherapy, Bella Roma, Radiant Perfume, Scent from Above, Social Climber, Sombreuil, Welcome Home, April in Paris, High Society

Comments (10)