SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
norabelle_gw

Worried about Emma Hamilton

norabelle
15 years ago

Hello All,

I ordered three bare-root roses from DA in January '08, and they arrived in early May. (This is the first time I have ever ordered roses from anyone. I do have two DA roses, which I bought years ago from a local nursery.) The roses are Charles Mackintosh, Jude the Obscure, and Emma Hamilton.

Between the advice here, the DA site and catalogue, and the directions that arrived with the roses, I soaked them for three days in dappled shade, I dug deep holes, buried the union bud 3-4" beneath the soil line, and piled mulch/compost up over canes.

Emma arrived very spindly--skinny, twig-sized canes. Some of the canes looked like they'd been chewed on or twisted and broken off. She was, however, the first to send shoots out of the mulch. I thought Charles was the healthiest, but he has not put out anything through the mulch and has only one shoot of new growth. Jude is the giant of the bunch; he has put out growth through the mulch and above on the canes.

Emma's foliage has stayed small and it is yellowish-redish. I have not fertilized per suggestions to force root growth. Below are pictures of each plant. Should I contact DA about Emma? Did I get a dud plant?

This is "one-armed" Charles:

{{gwi:281261}}

This is Jude:

{{gwi:281262}}

This is my poor Emma (the twiggy-sticks on the bottom left-and right-side of the picture are part of Emma):

{{gwi:281263}}

Advice is needed and welcomed!

Cheers,

Nora

Comments (10)