SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
begonia2005

Kindly help me take off from this AV runway!

Begonia2005
12 years ago

I havce had my four AV-s for about two weeks now. At first, I took them out of the thin plastic pot they came in and placed them in a solid plastic self-watering pot with a lip saucer very soon after I bought them - and then watered them. Almost two weeks went by and in the meantime I read a bit more on AV-s after which I decided to change the soil to a mixture of AV mix, peat and perlite and then water them again - as the soil seemed to have finally gotten pretty dry after two weeks since the first watering.

Before I started the operation, I noticed that the lower leaves on one of my AV-s were drooping, pointing towards the ground. See picture.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll21/syracusa/043.jpg

The rest of the flower looked fine, except that this particular plant seemed to have grown in height very fast during these two weeks, with the stems getting tall quickly and most of the crown leaves pointing towards the sky almost. Then today, the lower leaves started to point downwards with the rest of the leaves remaining upwards.

None on this plant are really parallel to the ground as they should be.

I started the repotting operation, curious to see what the soil at the bottom would look like. At the bottom, the soil was still a bit damp/moist - certainly not wet, but slightly moist, not bone dry like the top soil had almost become. I did not notice any root rot signs, but then again, I might not even know what to look for.

Overall, the roots seemed healthy.

I am not sure whether finding the bottom soil still slightly damp right before watering means the soil was not well aerated; or whether it is normal for the bottom soil to be slightly damp right before watering time and only the one at the top to be bone dry...but either way, I changed the soil to the AV mix + peat + perlite to ensure better aeration. Granted, I could not change the ENTIRE soil because the root ball itself was still made of the old soil - which I left as is so as not to make a mess of the roots.

At first I thought that the sudden dropping of those lower leaves was due to needing water (it seemed it was high time for watering again). But as I said, when I took the plant out of the pot the bottom soil was not so dry as to have caused drooping. There was still a bit of damp quality to it which means the plant could not have started dying of thirst.

Or was it perhaps exactly because the bottom soil was still a bit damp while the one at the top was bone dry?

If that is the case, why weren't the other three plants drooping as well - as the bottom soil of those had the same quality as the droopy one: still slightly moist.

I changed the soil, re-potted them ibn the same pot and watered them. A couple of hours later, the droopy lower leaves did not get any better after watering...and in fact one of the leaves had started to bend to the point of breakage so I just cut it off because it was getting on my nerves.

Yet this plant is starting to seem to have some issues: grows tall (does it qualify as a necky plant?)...and newly droopy leaves.

What should I do now?

Thank you so much!

Comments (10)