SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greendreamhome

Plastic, paper in bagged mulch -- problem?

greendreamhome
9 years ago

I don't have enough homemade compost for everything I need to plant this month. The nursery recommended a bagged vegetable mulch that they said was gathered from scraps from local restaurants. (I thought he meant local to our city, but the back of the bag says it's from a nearby state.) I bought a bag to try it, and started mixing some in the with the soil I was preparing for a cherry tomato plant in a giant clay pot.

It seemed to be fine, but as I was finishing (I mixed in batches because this is a BIG pot) first I encountered what seemed to be wadded-up paper, and then a few strips that looked like the ends of a bag -- the part that comes off when you open the bags of compost. (No, they weren't from MY bag; they were farther down in.)

I was nearly done, so I finished and planted the tomato, but now I'm wondering what else is in that mulch that I can't see, and if it will be bad for the plant. I tried to call the company twice, but had to leave a message and didn't get a reply. The nursery says they haven't had any reports of this. I'm reluctant to use the rest of the compost, and do I have to replant that tomato? That will be not only a waste of time, but of money, because I had mixed peat moss, hard-to-find worm compost and bat guano in, too.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting