SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pamchesbay

Advice about Using Live Oaks & Magnolias to Screen Views

Pamchesbay
15 years ago

Sorry for two requests for advice in one day but I'm trying to get several things done before high summer arrives. It's late this year.

Background: I live in a house on the Chesapeake Bay. The house is on pilings 10 feet above ground so I have up close and personal views of the backs of my neighbors' cottages and sheds. These views are partially screened by several large southern wax myrtles (Myrica cerifera), salt bush (Baccharis halmifolia), and a few loblollies. This photo was taken in early spring:

{{gwi:363616}}

Our forester recommended using maritime forest trees and shrubs, including live oaks and magnolias in this area and to screen views. This week, I planted 3 Magnolia grand. D. D. Blanchard 25 feet apart. Yesterday, I found a source of live oaks (about 12'). I would like to plant most of this screen before the weather turns hot.

Questions:

* How would you space live oaks and magnolias when using them to screen views v. as specimens?

* Do you have recommendations for other trees / large shrubs that will screen and create interest? Successful candidates need to tolerate wet acidic soil (not all the time) and windy conditions.

* I have half-dozen Osmanthus fragrans in pots from Lowes. I read they may grow to 15-20 feet (and they are fragrant). I don't know if they would thrive in this location. They may be too much of the same thing (broadleaf evergreen) but I do love them.

Many thanks,

Pam

Comments (2)