SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lithnights

Leyland vs. Little Giant vs. White Pine need screening advice

lithnights
14 years ago

Hello all,

I am new to this site but I love it! Anyway, my neighbor behind me is building a huge garage that is 10 feet from my property line. It is thus far at least 12 feet high and the roof will probably add another 6 feet or so. It is what I look at from my the back of my house and patio and thus I want to screen it. I am attaching a link that hopefully will show a picture of my view.

I have read hundreds of posts thus far on this site regarding leylands, little giants, white pines, excelsa cypress etc. but I wanted to present my unique situation (how much coverage, location, timeframe etc.) and get feedback.

I really want something fast growing which has led me to the trees above. Leylands look pretty (from pics) but also scare me (from some of the pics you all have posted!). Thuja little giant seem to be a good choice and I haven't seen any real drawbacks except they won't grow as fast as Leyland? White pine was another fast grower I've seen but I'm not as crazy about the pyramid shape (less coverage up top which is where I need it.) Excelsa Cypress was something I saw but I don't really know much about it.

I will run the trees at least 30 feet wide along the property line to cover the garage from various angles but will likely want to run them another 30 feet to the left along the fence to cover up their house and backyard and pool area. I am willing to pay for at least 6 footers (maybe more) since the view is so bad. So based on the fact that I want fast screenage at least 18 feet tall, I live in PA zone 6, and I don't care what they look like 20 years from now, what would be your suggestion? Thanks!!

http://i42.tinypic.com/y068j.jpg

Comments (3)