SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
duke90

Thuja Green Giant Privacy Screening Project Advice

duke90
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

I was looking for some advice in regards to planting Thuja Green Giants for a privacy screening project across the front road of my field. The total distance of the field running along the road is around 1400 ft. I want to make my property more private so cars driving by can't look across the field. In addition, there's a stone quarry across the street I'm looking to block out of view. I'm 21 now and someday may build a house on the property, so my plan is to plant x number of trees each year over the next few years so that someday there will be a nice privacy screen.

I purchased 4 4-5ft trees from Home Depot so far as an initial start and had a few questions. My spacing is 8 ft. and they are running in a straight line approximately 18 ft from the road. The trees I planted are 6 feet back from the power lines that are about 30 ft high. I'm starting to wonder if that's not enough distance back. I originally figured that 6 ft back would give me 12 ft in diameter at 30 ft in the air (which I don't think they would be that wide at that height). My friend who works at PPL says PPL power company trims trees within a 5 ft radius of the lines, so as a result my distance may not be far back enough. I really don't want to get into transplanting them if I don't have to. Before I plant any more, I was wondering if I should stagger the tree line back and then continue with more trees in a straight line? or just angle the line back without staggering the trees? (I'm looking for what's most visually pleasing).

Also, what's the ideal height I should be buying? 4-5 ft trees at $35 a piece will get expensive fast, however, I want to make sure the trees survive and flourish. I try to water them once a week. Also, should I bother using a fertilizer such as osmocote?

Any suggestions for my project would be greatly appreciated!

(I will try to upload a picture of the trees I planted and an aerial view of the front of the property later on.)

Comments (36)