SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
honeyhaze

Planting Thuja Green Giant Screen

honeyhaze
15 years ago

I recently ordered eight 24" - 30" Thuja Green Giants to plant in my backyard as a privacy screen. They arrived today and I'm very excited to plant them!

There were about eight scrawny pines back there and we've taken them down to plant a thicker and more private screen. The stumps aren't all that large, but we're going to rent a stump grinder to make quick work of them. That will leave the root system of the old trees, so we're planning to position the Thujas a few feet away in a sunnier (and hopefully less rooted) area.

Here's my first question: How many feet away from the old stumps should I plant the new trees? I was thinking of positioning them about 5' feet away from the old tree row and 5' apart from each other. Does that sound about right?

My second question is regarding tree planting in general. I've planted only two trees previous to this and they're both doing well; I didn't do anything special with them, e.g. fertilizing, etc. I'd really like to give my Thujas a boost this time. Aside from frequent watering, what else can I do? I read on this forum that some people use those Miracle Grow stakes and just stick one at the base of the tree... should I try that? Any other tips for helping a tiny little tree to shoot up quickly and prosper?

Thanks!

Mariah

Comments (2)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz