SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenfreak_gw

Can I share my story and photos of my first compost bins?

greenfreak
14 years ago

I posted about a week ago with my plan and questions, and I decided to make things easy on myself and not get too carried away.

I made my bins with poultry netting, 3 feet wide, fastened the overlapped edges with zip ties. I had gotten 4 foot stakes and snaked them through the holes in the netting so they wouldn't shift around.

{{gwi:301994}}

I chose an area next to my shed, in front of my fence. I didn't want the runoff from the shed roof emptying into the bins but in retrospect, I probably should have given more clearance from the fence for better air exchange. It's less than a foot. Oh well, I can move the one next to it. As I used my scuffle hoe to clear the area of weeds, I unearthed a lot of worms. I was never so happy to see red wigglers!! I collected them in a pot with dirt and added them to the middle of the pile. :)

The garbage cans on the right are full of lawn clippings, hydrangea prunings, coffee grounds, and leaves from last fall. I also had a bunch of leaves from my holly tree which are kind of waxy on the outside - I wasn't sure about those, how long they take to break down, but added them to the pile anyway. And some leaves and thin twigs from pruning branches off my japanese maple tree.

{{gwi:301995}}

In went all that, and some shredded paper I had. I layered it like lasagne, keeping more browns than greens, breaking apart the slimy grass clippings so they weren't just a solid mass. When all was said and done, I only had about 14 inches of compost in one bin!

{{gwi:301996}}

I got some 10 inch metal U-shaped stakes to keep the pile from being tipped by any kind of critters or my rambunctious Labrador.

{{gwi:301997}}

As of this morning, the pile is 94 degrees (outside temp is 74). I know it takes a little while for it to start really cooking and that once it does, if I add anything to it, I'm starting all over again, right?

I guess I'm jonesing to get the pile bigger already! I didn't realize it would only be a foot or so. I could take a trip to Starbucks today and get coffee grounds, I have a ton of shredded paper in bags, I have a bag full of old newspapers I could shred at work tomorrow. But no more 'greens' - no more clippings or prunings. Tomorrow is garbage pickup day, I might be able to go driving around and see if my neighbors have anything of interest! lol

I should just leave it alone, shouldn't I? It's hard not to attend to my new pile!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County