SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elfowl77

Lower soil pH or wait?

elfowl77
9 years ago

We made major changes to our property on the coastal north shore of Boston this year bringing in about 300 yds of subsoil and 300 yds of improved loam to fill and plant over exposed ledge (granite) on a hillside of about .35 acres. We then planted perennials, deciduous and needle leaf trees, shrubs including rhodies, blueberry, and azalea, and some lawn in May and June. All the plantings have shredded bark mulch surrounding them.

The results of 2 UMass soil tests from different samples came back last week showing the same values. All macro and micro nutrients are in the range Optimum or Above Optimum except nitrogen which was 4 ppm.

My question is about the pH of 7.5, high for this region. I want to bring this down about 1 point most places and more than that for the acid lovers by adding sulfur but given all the newly added soil I'm not sure if the pH is stable or may be changing. The soil test showed sulfur content of 53 ppm. Any advice on whether I should add sulfur now or wait some months and get another test?

This post was edited by elfowl77 on Thu, Aug 21, 14 at 10:03

Comments (8)