SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Please post pictures of "secret gardens"

jacqueline9CA
10 years ago

Our 108 year old garden was once very formal, with paths, a pond, boxwood hedges, etc. Now it is an overgrown not wilderness, but perhaps bounteous riot of plants.

Anyway, there is one section which was originally laid out by my DH's Great Grandfather - we have pictures of what he designed there in 1905 - a grape arbor, of all things! Anyway, the street & other trees grew up, and the shade increased, so no more grapes by the mid 1920s. By then my DH's Grandfather owned the house, and he laid out a circular garden with a path around a circular bed, with roses & bulbs all around the outside.

By the time we bought the house (1989) the little side garden was mostly weeds, some wild plums & privet & other trees & bushes, some struggling HT roses, a few HUGE happy ancient tea roses, and some bulbs like old fashioned grape hyacinth which still came up every Spring. All we did was clean up & gravel the path, move the barely alive HTs to large pots in the patio in the sun, put a bird bath in the center of the circular bed, weed & plant that bed, and my darling DH built me a sort of arbor/tunnel thingy over the path into the garden from the driveway.

I don't know how to post more than one pic at a time, so I am going to try and post a few sequentially. What I would really like is for those of you who have small "secret" parts of their gardens to post pictures of them too - I would love love to see them!

The pictures are approaching the garden from the driveway.

Jackie

Comments (80)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21