SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
highalttransplant

It's outta here! (Bee Balm)

highalttransplant
16 years ago

This was to be my tall red accent in my hot colored garden. There are lots of yellows, golds, and oranges, but this was my big punch of red.

Planted them late last summer, and they have grown to rather large clumps, probably 36" x 36". Well, we have had a major grasshopper invasion in the last few weeks. They have ravaged the bee balm to the point where I wasn't sure if it would even bloom. I thought about ripping it out, but then I was afraid the grasshoppers would just start eating something else, so I was just going to leave it until after it bloomed.

Well, they started blooming today ... my red bee balm is LAVENDER!!! I know lots of people will think I am being silly, but it doesn't not fit the color scheme and looks out of place.

I am heading to the garden center this afternoon to see if they have anything left that I could fill those spots with. I am jotting down some ideas from that thread on tall red suggestions. This is a full sun, mostly xeric perennial bed, but I will settle for an annual to fill the gap this year if necessary.

Comments (12)