SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tulipsmiles

A coulple of silly questions: Bee Balm, Veronica, Russian Sage

tulipsmiles
12 years ago

Hello All,

I'm looking for some guidance from you. I'm having difficulty with the following plants, and hope you can offer some insight and suggestions.

1. Bee Balm "Jacob Kline". I bought it from a local gardener offering perennial divisions. She had a thick and tall plant and it looked healthy and happy. 3 summers later, my bee balm is about 3 straggley stems with one flower on top. And the stems are bent horizontally and twisted and therefor stand about 2 ft tall. I had full intentions of this plant filling in a spot of at least 4' tall x 3- 4' wide. I have been diligent to water it and fertilize it. This doesn't seem to help. It's in full sun in a perennial bed. Hasn't suffered any mold as I have seen online this is susceptible to.

2. Veronica: "incana Minuet" a.k.a Speedwell

Again, this is like the Bee Balm in that it is much less in width and girth than I had anticipated, it is bent and grows horizontally, then vertically to a height of about 24". The mound is green and seems like a ground cover, with a few spikes out of it. It's ironic because its located next to Jacob Kline Bee Balm in my perennial bed. Could this be some kind of nutrient deficiency? I have them both in full sun, watered 2 or 3 time a week, depending on rain fall and they have received a 10-10-10 fertilizer in the spring. This plant was ordered from Bluestone Perennials about 3 years ago and planted immediately.

3. Russian Sage: failure to thrive. (seems to be a common theme here) I bought two of these plants early last season. I planted them in an almost full sun location. They dont get the water that most of my other plants do, as I read they really would rather be a bit thirsty. They came back after the winter, and started green little leafy growth. Then sort of stopped there. They are green, and alive, but not growing in height nor width, not do they have any flowers on them. They are in a location that may not have the most fertile soil, so I threw a few handfuls of nice compost in when I planted them last year. Other than that, I have sprinkled a bit of 10-10-10 fert this spring. They just aren't doing anything. I was so eager for them to be big and purple and beautiful! Is it a matter of time? Will they just need time to get some growth underground and next year will flower? I didn't think they were that finicky...

Any and all info is appreciated. Even if it means you telling me I made the most predictable newbie mistakes!

thanks,

Tulip Smiles : )

Comments (7)