SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Companion plants for romantic garden

lavender_lass
12 years ago

Jerijen's post reminded me that we all think of different things, when we think of a romantic garden, but they almost always include roses! :)

What companion plants do you like to mix in with them? Do you pick them for form, color, fragrance, ease of care, all of the above?

For me, I use columbine, bee balm, sweet woodruff, violas and forget me knots in the shade garden. Stock, alyssum, peonies, more bee balm, daisies, coneflowers, a few herbs and lots of lavender in the sunny areas, with a few potted star jasmine, surrounded by white petunias. I sprinkle purple hyacinths, pink tulips, dutch iris and lots of daffodils around, for some pretty spring bloom.

To me, the romance is more of a cottage garden feel, with lots of pink, lavenders, blues, some red and light yellows...and lots of white. White seems very romantic, especially in the evening. Fragrance is wonderful, too, but mainly it's from the roses and herbs...and the alyssum.

I pick my plants, mainly for their ability to withstand zone 4 winters and deer...but then probably by color and form, with fragrance if possible. We have dry summers, so fragrances don't travel as they do in more humid areas...but in the evenings, we get a little more humidity from the creek and the star jasmine smells wonderful!

What about your garden?

Comments (18)