SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
runswithscissors_gw

Ancient-looking trees

runswithscissors
16 years ago

I'm planting some trees for my great-grandchildren to enjoy! I say this because I'm 40 and will be dead long before any tree I plant now, will ever reach it's full potential. Hopefully, after I'm gone, my parent's parent's property, which is now mine, will continue to stay in the family...(one never knows.) I'm looking for trees that are very ancient-looking in their growth habits. Twisted, tortured, almost biblical, as if they have a long and amazing story to tell. Perhaps by the time they are mature they WILL have a story to tell! I already have a few apple trees...one is even a graft from one of the last remaining original Johnny Appleseed trees. The land is mostly populated by Pondarosa Pine, (some of them enormous) cottenwood, quaking aspen and some spruce. It is a rocky, drought prone area, cold, cold winters, but sometimes fairly temperate summers for 2 months or so. A beech tree is a must. I don't know if a Bristlecone Pine will survive in Montana...but I know they live a long time! Do you have any suggestions?

Comments (14)